long drug out fall calving this year

Help Support CattleToday:

herefordlover

Reaction score
had about half of our 30 fall cows calv starting the first week in sept went. then u could tell that severl was going to be later than the rest.after the first 3 weeks we went 4 weeks since we had a calf or close too it. tonight i seen one cow with a tight bag guess we will have another calf in a few days.

That's not to bad.
You should try running a place that calves year round!
SL

Q. For anyone.
Why don't you calve year round?

-calf uniformity at the auction mart
-since the calf crop is our $ we tend to be very hands on during calving to minimize accidental deaths. Calving all year round with bees, fencing, haying, hauling hay and wood, extracting and what ever else the farm has in store just does not work.
-hate calving year round. Get it done and over with in 60days

we try for a 60 day calving period. we had a really cold snap during breeding season last fall and the cows wernt in the best shape many factors what gets me is that they calved last year for the most part in 60 days.... but the calving all year had that when we got back in to cattle and with all the other things going on i like to beable to know when and whats going on hate to walk in to a pasture and have a new calf that wasnt expected to be laying ther ecold wet and muddy.