Lone Star Review

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
There's a good sale coming up this Saturday near Thrall, Texas. Lone Star Review, primarily Simmental cattle, nearly all black, some Sim-Angus cross females, and a bunch of females consigned by Triple C out of Wisconsin. But don't come if you're interested in any those.. I don't want anyone to bid against me. :D

Did you get any of the Triple C cattle?

It looked like they might have taken just as many cattle home with them as they brought down. Of course considering the prices they paid vs the prices they got for their cattle, they're taking a lot of cash with them too.

No.. I can't imagine those black cattle from Wisconsin are going to do well in this environment.. unless they're in someone's air conditioned show barn.

I can't get over those two girls that paid $10,000+ for the heifers. There are some really good breeders in Texas that have heifers that nice for a LOT less $$.

lol, I didn't get there until they were just getting done with the opens but I didn't miss anything. We all know it wasn't two girls who paid $10k for those heifers, it was two girl's daddies. Was it the same people from the valley that paid the big bucks last year?

I could understand trying to bring cattle down here from the Triple C Fall sale but bringing a heifer from a harsh winter to an extreme Summer is just cruel in my opinion. Talking with the Texas breeders after the sale, they said it typically takes at least two years for those Northern females to adjust to the climate down here.

I mess around with the clubbies and ran #18 (the Who Made Who heifer bred to Dream on) up to $3,300 but couldn't justify going $3,500. We did get a few other replacements though.

That auctioneer has a bad tendency to run cattle up. Any time he asked for either $25 or $75 (as in $1325 or $1375) it was P.O. I know because I bought a few of those cattle after the sale.

(they also need a better photographer, the pics in the catalog didn't do the cattle justice)

Well you got some nice females.. there were some good ones there, and other than the Triple C's. Whispering Hills had some very very nice ones! Hope you got one of those! I would have liked the #74 female (the added lot) she was FINE, but brought $5000 or there about.

We moved to Texas from "up north" and it is very hard for the cows to aclimate, especially if they're black. I agree.. it is cruel. And they had some HAIR besides!

Someone else mentioned some were "po'd". Doesn't surprise me.. and nothing worse than having them run one up! :mad:

I agree about the photographer.. most of the cattle were nicer than their picture!

Latest posts