Logic, Not Politically Correct, and Curiosities

Help Support CattleToday:

No one is ever going to convince me that bilingual education is a good thing overall. It keeps people down, which I suppose is the ultimate aim of those that force it down our throats. How can someone that doesn't learn English get ahead in this country? Seems to me that most folks that come here, but refuse to learn English, will be doomed to a lifetime of picking grapes and cleaning hotel rooms.

VanC":e2w1ipvw said:
Seems to me that most folks that come here, but refuse to learn English, will be doomed to a lifetime of picking grapes and cleaning hotel rooms.
Suits me fine

Ryder":3fiod3xe said:
Running Arrow Bill":3fiod3xe said:
Last night I was watching a TV special with Steven Hawking (a world renound theoretical astrophysicist, for those not familiar with his theories).

He was discussing God and basically disclaimed God's existance.

Deep stuff...I need more coffee this morning... :bang:
Now don't get me wrong, I set great store by book learning. But it appears to me this Hawking fellow has gone over the top. He seems to be educated beyond the limits of his intellect.

You have to have intelligence equal to or above that which you are able to figure out and understand.
I don't think many of us are equal to, much less above, the level of the Creator and his creation.

As for me,
"Everytime I touch a leaf, or see the sky, or hear a newborn baby cry, then I know why I believe".

And that's my say on the matter.

I agree... Think Steven Hawking is trying to explain the universe's existence through a process of "information reduction" and/or "micro explanations" (whatever those mean). Since he has had ALS for most of his life, he "needs" something to occupy his mind since only being able to communicate via "eye glaze" at a video keyboard and has no control over any of his other movements or functions. A brilliant astrophysicist? Yes. Lost his mind...jury is still out...

That aside, about the only thing I "know for sure" is that I have not died yet...at least I don't think I have...LOL!

On a sidebar...being of sound mind...I try never to discuss politics or religion with anyone except my wife occasionally...then, only a few random, off the wall comments... :| :2cents:

highgrit":18uy5lup said:
I will not learn to speak Spanish in the USA. Might have to try and learn Chinese if we don't change
the way our Goverment thinks." Beam me up Scottie, there's no intelligent life here"

The ones that burn me up are the guys that walk up and ask if I speak spanish. I've seen the show before so I always say "no" and then they break into english and it just so happens that they speak it well. :mad: I speak usable spanish but they don't get to hear it until they've tried to communicate with me in the language of the country that they're in and it doesn't work. After that point I drop all bias and it's a guy looking for a job.

hooknline":veskgel7 said:
Science explains what can be explained in black and white. For everything else there is faith
I asked a "I don't believe it if you can't prove it" if he had ever loved anyone a few years ago. I waited until I saw him smelling the trap before I told him that I didn't believe him unless he could prove it. It was not well recieved but it did open his eyes.

Lots of people need to spend more time studying the Bible. Hawken made a fool out of himself recently when one of his big theories blew up in his face.

Running Arrow Bill":1cvti6gq said:
In the Christian Bible (and related pictures) Jesus is always depicted as white, physically fit, and good looking...wasn't Jesus said to be born in the Middle East (not exactly "white" genetics)...

I challenge you to present me with one verse in the Christian Bible that describes Jesus as "white, physically fit, and good looking".

Larry

larryshoat":1h8to8ej said:
Running Arrow Bill":1h8to8ej said:
In the Christian Bible (and related pictures) Jesus is always depicted as white, physically fit, and good looking...wasn't Jesus said to be born in the Middle East (not exactly "white" genetics)...

I challenge you to present me with one verse in the Christian Bible that describes Jesus as "white, physically fit, and good looking".

Larry

I was always under the impression he was 1/2 Jewish and a carpenter during his early life.

My thoughts on intelligence: If it were not for supernatural guidance, I think we would have been extinct a long time ago. Do you not ever wonder how we can be so dumb and still survived as a species? Think of all the toxins, bugs, snakes, viruses, bacteria, weather events, food poisoning, etc... Take a look at your occupation and think about when you have had to help someone understand what it is that you do and how difficult that can be. How many don't have a clue? You have to assume that they are just as ignorant about everything else in this world, except for their own occupation or close personal surroundings. I know that there are so many things that I am just clueless about.

When "collective we" discover something that has existed since the dawn of the Earth we think we are intelligent. Example, it wasn't until the time of Columbus (how many generations did that take?), that we discovered that the Earth was round. The world hadn't suddenly changed, but our understanding of the world did. In 50 years, our current knowledge base will be considered archaic. But, we still won't be intelligent enough to create a universe or start life from scratch. The ability to design the natural law we currently live in- that is intelligence. Our understanding of it- is just playing a really slow game of catch up.

I enjoy the philosophical pondering. Without it, how will you discover your true beliefs? Dawkins doesn't think God exists. But I recently heard this question posed.... Do you believe in Evil? Is someone that takes a 5 year old girl and sexually molests her and kills her an Evil act?

If you believe it is and I think most of us would, then you set yourself up to believing that their is an inherent moral code. If there is no code, there is no Evil and that act is not Evil? If you believe it to be Evil, then you believe in the moral code. If you believe that their is an inherent moral code, then this code has to be derived from somewhere. And therefor you have to explain where this moral code originates and that is going to be very difficult/impossible to do if you remove God from the equation.

Jogeephus":19mm6tki said:
Lots of people need to spend more time studying the Bible. Hawken made a fool out of himself recently when one of his big theories blew up in his face.

Amen to that. Now he want's me to believe that nothing became something blew up and created everything from a knat to a blue whale all starting from one cell. This cell that came from somewhere by magic and started divideing to create all life as we know it. How do you get everything from nothing?
Walk through the world and look at all the wonder's and ask yourself a bang caused this or intelligent design. I have never seen anything created by an explosion only destruction. Why did it work the other way on the first explosion?

I believe .

Caustic Burno":2atpkfja said:
Jogeephus":2atpkfja said:

Amen to that. Now he want's me to believe that nothing became something blew up and created everything from a knat to a blue whale all starting from one cell. This cell that came from somewhere by magic and started divideing to create all life as we know it. How do you get everything from nothing?
Walk through the world and look at all the wonder's and ask yourself a bang caused this or intelligent design. I have never seen anything created by an explosion only destruction. Why did it work the other way on the first explosion?

I believe .

That's exactly what he and others like him want you to believe, that somehow all those billions and billions of years ago something inorganic became organic, something without life began to live. Just ask if they can perform that in a laboratory today, the answer will be no. That's because it never happened and no matter how advanced we become it never will.

By their thinking, if given enough time, this chair I'm sitting in might eventually become a dog or calf or whatever. My question is, if that is so where is the fossil evidence of all these transitional forms? They don't have any. These are the same folks that just can't bring themselves to believe in creation, they think it is just too far fetched. I think they think too much.

Larry

larryshoat":3vzn4ch0 said:

Larry

I don't think scripture describes anyone as white but if you've ever been around very many jews they most look pretty much "white, physically fit and good looking". The arabs on the other hand.......

TexasBred":3fijvbyk said:
larryshoat":3fijvbyk said:
I challenge you to present me with one verse in the Christian Bible that describes Jesus as "white, physically fit, and good looking".Larry

I don't think scripture describes anyone as white but if you've ever been around very many jews they most look pretty much "white, physically fit and good looking". The arabs on the other hand.......
human perception...try drawing folks to ugly humble and riding a donkey... the bible says he was'nt comely to look at

How could they do all that walking about and not be physically fit?
I don't think he rode that donkey all the time.
One of the things that boggles my mind is how much traveling about they did. I get tired just thinking about it.
Of course a farmer plowing behind a mule day after day would put in a few miles as well.
Wonder if anyone ever calculated how much walking a man would do plowing?
I have never plowed behind a mule and that experience is one of those that I would just as soon not have.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure it made them physically fit. Just "give out".

The Great Debate on origins continues.... To just accept and not think or read or debate would be the death of some. To read material from both sides of the debate is really interesting, I have my faith but someone gave me an inquiring brain as well. What does perturb me is that many Christians that I have encountered don't read much further than their Bible. I'm not expecting them to be experts on the Laws of Thermodynamics, Big Bang Theory or the Law of Cause and Effect for instance but some have not even heard about them. We were given a brain to think, to discover and invent things, why restrict ourselves?

TexasBred":14y2swci said:
larryshoat":14y2swci said:

Larry

TB I don't know the color of his skin and it doesn't matter to me.

I think he was a man's man. He was a carpenter the work of that day with their the tools, took strong men.
He carried his cross a long way after being beat, I really in my mind don't think that was the sissy we see in a lot of drawing's.

I know this I hope I have lived my life by following his teaching's that when the pickup get's in front of the pearly gate ole St Peter holler's yall get out and come in. I don't care for burn't bisquits at all, and want to avoid the smoking section at all cost.

TexasBred":2qovgdja said:
Ali, do you really think "Lucy" was our ancestor? :mrgreen:
Well let's put it this way TB, at least we know who the ol' girl is....sorry, was. Do you think she's in heaven? :)

alisonb":vhvqfx3b said:
TexasBred":vhvqfx3b said:
Ali, do you really think "Lucy" was our ancestor? :mrgreen:
Well let's put it this way TB, at least we know who the ol' girl is....sorry, was. Do you think she's in heaven? :)
Perhaps...if she was a good girl. ;-)

alisonb":1os6h5lq said:
The Great Debate on origins continues.... To just accept and not think or read or debate would be the death of some. To read material from both sides of the debate is really interesting, I have my faith but someone gave me an inquiring brain as well. What does perturb me is that many Christians that I have encountered don't read much further than their Bible. I'm not expecting them to be experts on the Laws of Thermodynamics, Big Bang Theory or the Law of Cause and Effect for instance but some have not even heard about them. We were given a brain to think, to discover and invent things, why restrict ourselves?
You are wrong Ali. Many Christians don't read the Bible either.

Latest posts