Lodging for Show People...

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Hi all. I'd like some opinions if you would.... let me explain the situation.

I built a new house on property near my old farmhouse. Due to love of the old barns/etc., I am keeping the old farmhouse.

My question is this... as you are traveling to and from shows would this be of interest to anyone as a stop-over? We have an equestrian center nearby that hosts field trials and I'm thinking the horse people will appreciate having a place where they have use of an entire house as well as stalls/paddocks to overnight their horses . I'm trying to get a "feel" for how to market this. I realize some of you drive pretty far... and we are located pretty close to St. Louis, MO.

The house is nice... when I'm done furnishing it, it should sleep 8+. LR, DR. huge Kitchen/breakfast nook, large laundry, 2 bathrooms (1 with jacuzzi tub), 2 bedrooms on mainfloor and a kids loft upstairs.

Is this something useful to anyone traveling across the U.S.? For anyone who's read my other posts, you know I don't make my living off cattle (or this) but I enjoy the thought of accomidating people with like-interests. Thanks for any input.

You're talking like a bed and breakfast right?

I think that it's a great idea. If there are facilities nearby that host horse shows or cattle shows...well heck any kind of show would do, I think that there is some money to be made with it. I would do it if I owned the property or I would stay if it was close. :D

I used to have a directory that had listings of ranches, dude ranches, horse motels, stopovers, etc for people travelling with horses. We used it when we took a vacation with our horses. You can try http://www.horsetrip.com or something along those lines. I know we found it really useful when we were on our way to our destination and just needed a place to stay for one night where we could let the horses out for a while.

Sounds like an excellent idea, especially if you're in an area that hosts a lot of horse events.

The trick is having people find out about you!

Colorado2008":29c2llu7 said:
You're talking like a bed and breakfast right?

I think that it's a great idea. If there are facilities nearby that host horse shows or cattle shows...well heck any kind of show would do, I think that there is some money to be made with it. I would do it if I owned the property or I would stay if it was close. :D

Somewhat like a bed & breakfast. I don't want to advertise the breakfast part... my schedule can get crazy. I LOVE to cook and entertain (friends call me "Martha" which is embarassing) so if I'm able I'll definately put out a good "spread", however I don't want to be locked into providing breakfast if we happen to be showing, etc. Thanks for the reply....

braunvieh":2n3vign9 said:
I used to have a directory that had listings of ranches, dude ranches, horse motels, stopovers, etc for people travelling with horses. We used it when we took a vacation with our horses. You can try http://www.horsetrip.com or something along those lines. I know we found it really useful when we were on our way to our destination and just needed a place to stay for one night where we could let the horses out for a while.

My feelings exactly. When we rode a lot more than we do now, even though we had a horsetrailer with living quarters we LOVED when we could let the horses really stretch out and not be tied constantly to the trailer. Seems like someones horse was always getting loose... I just felt really secure with stall facilities and thought the house would be an added bonus. I don't think it'll be a problem booking it during the local horse events... but think it might even be neat for "city slickers" who just want to brush a horse or pet a cow. Heck, I might be able to time it right and have hay help!!! haha.

Latest posts