Local Sales

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Went to a couple bull sales Thursday-- The Charolais one was not good--Had about 60 bulls and took 26 No Sales home with them...Sold a lot of $1200-1300 bulls...Good charolais cattle that normally has a much bigger following--Since this is the only local Charolais sale- it sure looked like the demand was down for Charolais....Seats everywhere in what is usually a packed house....

Angus sale was a small longtime local breeder and old friend that sold 22 bulls for an average of $2000- took one home that came in the ring on the prod- and he wouldn't sell as he prides himself in his quiet cattle.....About the same price as last year....

My son was able to get the 2 angus heifers he wanted but had to pay more than he wanted to get first choice-- price dropped about $100 a piece after he picked out the two he wanted-- and by the time they got picked over he could have bought the last 3 for what he paid for 2...

I spent yesterday afternoon at the Spear J/Bowles J5 Red Angus Joint Production sale...Sold about 90 bulls -20 registered heifers- and 35 commercial heifers...

Spear J did pretty good with their top bull selling for $7000- and quite a few bulls selling between $2000-3000-- but they had some $1000 bulls and a half dozen or so No Sales...The cousin that neighbors me picked up 8 or 9 real nice bulls of theirs....I don't think I've seen another set of red angus bulls as quiet as the Spear J ones-- pretty impressive....

Bowles J5 did not do as good tho- No Saling about 1/2 of their bulls..Their top end sold for $2800- with a couple selling for $2600...I don't know much about red genetics, but it seemed like some good genetics being sold awful cheap...They had a lot of calving ease and heifer bulls that a guy could have picked up for $1000-1200...
A guy could have picked up a whole string of bulls without spending over $1000 a piece......

Bowles registered heifers sold for between $900- $1125-- commercial heifers averaged around $800..

Went to a polled hereford sale the 31st. of March. Out of 65 bulls I believe they took 38 home. The high seller went for 3250 then the next bull dropped down to 2500 and then down to sub 2000 dollar range. Alot of bulls sold for 1300-1500. The sale was postponed a day but I dont think it would matter just weren't any people in the seats.

All these bull sales are getting pretty soft. I believe its a combination of most people being bulled up and too many bulls selling in the first place. It always amazes me that some of these outfits that have a hard time sellin their bulls come back with more in the offering the next year. I would think that $700 steers in the fall would have cured that by now but I guess not.

I also heard that Performance Breeders average was off $1000 and Leland Red Angus was down quite a bit also. I feel sorry for the guys who still have sales comin up.

I spent this afternoon at the Eayrs black angus yearling bull sale- old outfit that runs cattle near Glasgow and Fallon Mt and sold private treaty for years- but at auction the last 5 years or so.....
They did quite well- averaging close to $2200, which was better than last year...Sold a couple $4100 bulls and some $3000+ bulls- selling all 40 bulls they had at the sale...I talked to buyers from as far away as S.D...

Like I said they are an old herd (50 years) that has a lot of Shoshone and Wye breeding in their old cows with a history of very moderate framed, maternal, and calving ease......And again- a really quiet bunch of bulls- I don't think you could have riled them up :D They used to be a Leachman cooperator on some Gelbvieh/angus compostite bulls...

I think they may be one of those "sleeper herds", kind of like Diamond D was, as more folks look at the truly moderate frame, more maternal, easy keeping cattle....

I have one of their bulls I bought a couple years ago that goes back to 6807 on top and bottom-- that like I was telling them, I don't know what kind of diet to put him on to keep him from being fat enough to butcher- been feeding him only grass hay and he's fat as a hog....

Next week is the sale that usually tops the local market- McRaes Big Dry Angus Ranch-- the power/carcass bulls that has a big following of repeat buyers....

Keep me informed if you go to Big Dry. I have conversed with Brent so via email, seems like a nice guy. I would like to know how they do. Thanks.

jscunn":2s0thw67 said:
Keep me informed if you go to Big Dry. I have conversed with Brent so via email, seems like a nice guy. I would like to know how they do. Thanks.

Will do---I talked to Brent today- and you are right he is a nice guy..You can bank on what he tells you...And they do raise some top cattle.....

I have heard Eayrs have good cattle. Their neighbors say they are probably some of the best black angus cattle around. I have never seen them which is too bad since I only live about 40 miles away. Have to go over there and have a look some day.

I wonder how the Idland Cattle Co. sale went today? 130 bulls is an awful lot to sell in Glendive especially this late in the year. Not to mention that the black market is pretty saturated already in that area. Glendive gets a lot of black sales a year so if someone is short on black bulls it is their own fault.

Idland Sale Report

Top Bull: Lot 101–Icc Premium Beef 6255, 2-3-06 bull by GAR US Premium Beef. To Split Diamond Ranch, Whitehall, MT, for $6,000, two-thirds interest.

Lot 67–ICC New Design 208-5602, 9-2-05 bull by Bon View New Design 208. To Grue Ranch, Terry, MT, for $3,750, two-thirds interest.

Lot 85–ICC Nebraska 6266, 2-16-06 bull by Baldridge Nebraska. To Horse Creek Cattle Co., Circle, MT, for $3,500.

Lot 109–ICC Coalation 6257, 2-4-06 bull by KCF Bennet Colation SCC. To Alf Idland, Richey, MT, for $3,500.

Lot 55–ICC Coalition 6274, 2-20-06 bull by KCF Bennet Colation SCC. To Alf Idland, Richey, MT, for $3,500, two-thirds interest.

Lots Gross Average
80 yrlg. bulls $180,880.00 $2,261.00
80 Total Registered Live Lots $180,880.00 $2,261.00

Oldtimer":1gloiwfi said:
Went to a couple bull sales Thursday-- The Charolais one was not good--Had about 60 bulls and took 26 No Sales home with them...Sold a lot of $1200-1300 bulls...Good charolais cattle that normally has a much bigger following--Since this is the only local Charolais sale- it sure looked like the demand was down for Charolais....Seats everywhere in what is usually a packed house....

Angus sale was a small longtime local breeder and old friend that sold 22 bulls for an average of $2000- took one home that came in the ring on the prod- and he wouldn't sell as he prides himself in his quiet cattle.....About the same price as last year....

My son was able to get the 2 angus heifers he wanted but had to pay more than he wanted to get first choice-- price dropped about $100 a piece after he picked out the two he wanted-- and by the time they got picked over he could have bought the last 3 for what he paid for 2...

I spent yesterday afternoon at the Spear J/Bowles J5 Red Angus Joint Production sale...Sold about 90 bulls -20 registered heifers- and 35 commercial heifers...

Spear J did pretty good with their top bull selling for $7000- and quite a few bulls selling between $2000-3000-- but they had some $1000 bulls and a half dozen or so No Sales...The cousin that neighbors me picked up 8 or 9 real nice bulls of theirs....I don't think I've seen another set of red angus bulls as quiet as the Spear J ones-- pretty impressive....

Bowles J5 did not do as good tho- No Saling about 1/2 of their bulls..Their top end sold for $2800- with a couple selling for $2600...I don't know much about red genetics, but it seemed like some good genetics being sold awful cheap...They had a lot of calving ease and heifer bulls that a guy could have picked up for $1000-1200...
A guy could have picked up a whole string of bulls without spending over $1000 a piece......

Bowles registered heifers sold for between $900- $1125-- commercial heifers averaged around $800..
Hi, can anyone tell me where to sell a registered Holstein Bull? Thanks

Oldtimer":2zt6cach said:

Did the sons of Messmer Anchor stand out at the Spear J - Bowles J5 sale?
--Julian