Local sale...

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
prices look in line with other markets what you are seeing is the avg. medium to large refers to their frame estimate #1 is best quality # 2 is almost best . only way to make sure you get top dollar is to offer top dollar calves . a lot of people think just because they raise em they should be highest in the sale . Buyers look for certain attributes and a fed up calf will not be highest .

Dogs and Cows":5njxcz0f said:
All, sold 4 calves in this sale. Is it just me or are these prices crummy? It looks like at the Lynchburg, VA sale that prices were quite a bit better. Also, can someone explain to me what medium and large 1 2, or medium 2 means?? I think frame size...but not sure of the number?

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ra_ls761.txt

Thanks!

Tim

I would suggest selling at Lynchburg but if your calves are not up to par it will hurt your feelings. 99% of mine are sold in Lynchburg its a 2 hr ride but well worth it for me. I don't know how far it is from you. My closest barn is where I buy and Lynchburg is where I sell. If I take 10 calves to Blackstone im giving one away. Generally if I take 10 to Lynchburg ill get about 80.00 more per head or so.

Dogs and Cows":1m6sf4fb said:
[

I was not inferring that mine were the best or that I should be getting top dollar or anything...I know I have a long way to go. I just wanted to make sure nobody thought that was my point. Thanks M5 for the quality info! Much appreciated.

Tim

I want to clarify my comment was not saying your cattle are not good im saying in general if the calves are not up to par you will take a good beating. I am not saying mines better than yours or anyone else's I have some calves do great and I have some that just don't do well.

I like calves to look well conditioned and fat. I think mine are the nicest looking calves at the sale. (I'm biased) I take a terrible hit on price because mine are too fleshy. I have 7 in the lot now. Feeding free choice 2/1 CS meal/salt & hay then once daily 50# of 12% creep feed. These calves are too fat to get top dollar.
I sold a group the week the market tanked. Big, very fat, nice to look at calves. Pretty sure I got the lowest price per pound on 600wts in the state that week.

Been there and done that, prices do look in line with other markets. If your have good black cattle that will grade 1 and 2 go to lynchburg, you should do better there. If your wanting to stay in nc look into the sell at norwood. Sold twice there this year and been pleased. One thing i like there is if your cattle are 45 days weaned and have had 2 rounds of shots you can tell them and theyll put a different color tag on the calf. This helps both the auctioneer and buyer realize the above has been done to these calves and it usually results in a better price per lb.What weights did you sell? Best of luck to you in the future.

OleScout":bvjbhqdw said:
I like calves to look well conditioned and fat. I think mine are the nicest looking calves at the sale. (I'm biased) I take a terrible hit on price because mine are too fleshy. I have 7 in the lot now. Feeding free choice 2/1 CS meal/salt & hay then once daily 50# of 12% creep feed. These calves are too fat to get top dollar.
I sold a group the week the market tanked. Big, very fat, nice to look at calves. Pretty sure I got the lowest price per pound on 600wts in the state that week.

If you know that your calves are too fleshy, then why keep feeding them to that condition? I like to look at real "nice" calves too, but if they are going to take a hit then I won't feed them that way. I feed the ones I am keeping, heifers, to look real nice, but the others get fed to where they are in decent shape and they go. There is too much "shrinkage" on the fat over conditioned ones, and the buyers at the sale know they are paying for weight that will be lost so they are naturally going to pay less. Plus, those type of calves don't just jump in and start eating at a new place, they are looking for the "spoiling" they are used to and those kind of calves get sick easier.

Latest posts