Local Hereford Influence Sale Results

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle":3k22f0cx said:
Crowder the irony here is the thread started out about Hereford influenced beef and the Angus people are trying to defend their product go figure.
I know. Guess we struck a nerve or two.I'll say it for the last time. I'm not against the breed, just the AAA's way of promoting the breed. I have never got on a subject and debated it this much, but this one has always stuck in my craw.

Scotty":2jyb4h5r said:
Tell me. What are the requirements for CHB.

Scotty
Certified Hereford Beef
Live Animal Requirements - American Hereford Association (AHA) Live Animal Specification, Phenotype 51% white face and Hereford markings.
Carcass Requirements

1) Steers and Heifers
2) No dark cutters
3) Maximum hump height requirements (≤ 2 in.)
4) Practically free of capillary rupture
Quality

1) US Choice and Select
2) Marbling -- Slight 00 to Moderate 99
3) A maturity
Yield

1) Yield grade of 4.9 or lower
2) Hot carcass weight -- 600 to 1000 pounds
USDA Information - Schedule G10, effective September 2005, USDA Certified

Management Claims

1) Breed claim
2) Contact the individual listed below to learn more about specific program requirements

Program Contact
Rob Ames
1501 Wyandotte Avenue
Kansas City, Missouri 64108
816-842-3758
816-842-6931 (fax)
[email protected]

From the AHA website.

Insert 51% blk and you have CAB. What part of the marketing do you not like?

Scotty

Scotty":6n7r5gmr said:

Scotty

Not quite. CHB can be Choice or Select. CAB must be better than Choice. CHB accepts higher YGs than CAB.

Crowderfarms":3ckkf81p said:
Campground Cattle":3ckkf81p said:
Crowder the irony here is the thread started out about Hereford influenced beef and the Angus people are trying to defend their product go figure.
I know. Guess we struck a nerve or two.I'll say it for the last time. I'm not against the breed, just the AAA's way of promoting the breed. I have never got on a subject and debated it this much, but this one has always stuck in my craw.

Yes, it always sticks in my craw when someone who doesn't understand CAB insults it.

You claim that CAB is smoke and mirrors, but when I post a link to the USDA site that shows their monitoring program, you ignore it.

We can continue to debate because I refuse to allow false information about CAB to go unchallenged on this board.

Campground Cattle":3utfsa3m said:

I was happy to stay out of a Hereford discussion until someone started posting mis-information about CAB. That usually gets my attention.

Frankie":1lh5rqrl said:
Scotty":1lh5rqrl said:

Scotty

Not quite. CHB can be Choice or Select. CAB must be better than Choice. CHB accepts higher YGs than CAB.

CHB Classic can be Choice or Select. There is now also a CHB product that is Choice and above only. I have no interest in joining this argument, and it doesn't bother me that much that the requirements are what they are. I have eaten both CAB and CHB, and found them both delicious. I just wanted to let you know that there is an upgraded level of CHB product available.

Frankie":losoy6gp said:
Crowderfarms":losoy6gp said:
Campground Cattle":losoy6gp said:

Yes, it always sticks in my craw when someone who doesn't understand CAB insults it.

You claim that CAB is smoke and mirrors, but when I post a link to the USDA site that shows their monitoring program, you ignore it.

We can continue to debate because I refuse to allow false information about CAB to go unchallenged on this board.
I totally understand CAB. My point is, I say it's got additives in the program that are Fraudulent.So, Frankie who cares if the USDA monitors it. I dont care who monitors the program. Welfare and disability are supposed to be monitored too and we know what a fine job Government agencies can do...This is my last post on this one.

Crowderfarms":cjra8p7d said:
I totally understand CAB. My point is, I say it's got additives in the program that are Fraudulent.So, Frankie who cares if the USDA monitors it. I dont care who monitors the program. Welfare and disability are supposed to be monitored too and we know what a fine job Government agencies can do...This is my last post on this one.

You don't understand CAB if you don't know that the USDA monitors how it's produced. I care that USDA monitores it. I think most people put more confidence in the USDA's monitoring than the breed association or the individual packer.

You're entitled to your opinion. But you're not entitled to call my branded beef program "Fraudulent" without backing it up. So what "additives" do you consider "Fraudulent" in the CAB program?

Anybody that thinks the customer at the grocery store realizes that they are buying "Angus looking" beef, and not straight Angus beef is about as idiotic as anyone I've ever seen.

They hear Angus, they assume it's Angus, period. Not Angus sired, not Angus crossbred, not Angus momma, ANGUS-period.

If they realized they were buying Angus looking beef and not Angus beef, some of them will be pissed off! Not all would care, but some would.

This post clearly highlights some of the idiot mentality that now is prevalent among Angus breeders.

I've been at the packing plants during high demand times for CAB. I've seen the reds, the Herefords, the Longhorns, and the Holsteins get their heads cut off and rolled with the A stamp to begin qualification for CAB.

I know that these are exceptions, rather than rules as to how the CAB business is conducted, but I've seen it, and anybody that thinks that some government regulation makes it "real" is delusional.

mtnman

rwtherefords":18f8547r said:
But let's assume that some slick operator got the sanctioning body for the industry to ONLY require that they be a MECHANIC and that they had to be a VERY GOOD one, in order to be labeled a Certified Auto Mechanic.

I think that you, as a consumer, would be surprised (maybe even upset) if the Certified Auto Mechanic working on your car at the local garage wasn't required to have any automotive experience at all. See, he was a VERY GOOD aviation MECHANIC, and because of that, he meets the "requirements" to be called a Certified Auto Mechanic. But, what about the words "Certified Auto" in the label you ask. Well, that doesn't really matter since the sanctioning body defined the label in such a way that no automotive experience was required. He is a mechanic, and a very excellent one.

Happens all the time.Most shops are that way thats why you cant get your trucks fixed the first time. Sorry to get off the subject.JHH

Hello, I know the feeling about the black to hereford talk. We have raised pure breed herefords for thirty years.My dad has never kept up with the papers, he just always liked the cattle. I have just recently began to help him full time with the cattle. We only have 20 head, but I am planning on building a bigger herd. When I take our steers to the feeder sale everyone says "you need to get a black bull" This year I took 5 steers that average 450# they ran them in with a pen of about 10 black angus. Mine brought 1.15 lb. and the angus brought 1.17. I was the talk of the town. My dad couldn't believe it, that was the most he had ever got for them. I am trying to keep my heifers and I just recently bought a new bull. This year my heifers were bought off the farm, and the same man wants them next year. Maybe he's color blind. HA HA. :)

admitidly the black hided cattle folks have one heck of a advertisment media rolling, as stated before my offer of $100 for 10 people out of 1000 telling any kind of breed on like quality cattle on a platter off the grill by taste alone has just been raised to $1000, heres your chance angus folks!!!!!!
or do you admit it is all hype???????
can only call it deception by perceptiion because of what the common unknowing person percieves an angus burger,steak, roast etc etc to be from!!!!this is because of the hype put forth by cab and all it's associaltes and a super media blitz!! and we all know what the media can do with the truth!!!!!!! :D :D :D
a misplaced comma, a word left out etc etc etc, changes the entire meaning! :eek: :eek:
but then we know NONE of the BREED assoc would ever do that right? far to honest RIGHT? :D :D and then of course the staunch advocates of the specific breed are far to honest than to mislead anyone!! or let anyone else mislead their breed, yea right
:D :D :D :D