Local Hereford Influence Sale Results

Help Support CattleToday:

rwtherefords

Reaction score
Our local Hereford Influence Sale was held this past Monday 10/31/05, in Thompson Station, TN. We were just contacted this morning by the folks that held the auction, and thought some might be interested in the results. This was the first time that the average sale price for all Hereford Influence weight ranges were higher than those for the Angus sale. The vast majority of cattle were purchased by buyers from Kansas and Nebraska.

The 520# average price was $1.20 1/2, which was 5.5 cents higher that the average for the same weight range in the Angus sale.

The 585# average price was $1.15, which was 3.0 cents higher that the average for the same weight range in the Angus sale.

The 660# average price was $1.11 3/4, (didn't write down the Angus sale average for this weight range, but the Hereford Influence sale price was higher.)

The 739# average sale price was $1.08 4/5, which was 3.7 cents higher that the average for the same weight range in the Angus sale.

Information can be confirmed by contacting Tennessee Livestock Producers concerning their Hereford Influence Sale. It appears, by local results at least, that demand for the Hereford Influence is on the rise.

I noticed you say influenced. Around here straight herefords are no better than dairy steers. The blk baldies do sell very well.

Scotty

Scotty":2s39fqex said:
I noticed you say influenced. Around here straight herefords are no better than dairy steers. The blk baldies do sell very well.

Scotty

Just curious, where is "around here?"

Note that I said that the buyers were predominantly from Kansas and Nebraska. Our local sale barn definitely prefers black hides too.

I'm not sure what the minimum % of Hereford is required for this sale. Since all of my calves are at least 50% Hereford, and that qualifies, it's a non issue for me. In the past, regardless of Hereford percentage, no "ear" was allowed in the sale. Again, I have only English or Continental breeds in my herd, so the "ear" issue has been no problem. Therefore, I haven't paid attention to whether or not there have been any changes. I will say that in the past, straight Hereford calves in this Hereford Influence Sale brought about the same prices that Angus brought at our local sale barn.

I'm not real clear on what kinda sale this was....hereford influence? I mean I understand that what your saying is, they have to be part hereford. But Your list doesn't state whether they were heifers, steers, or bull calves. Just weights and prices.

Black brings more here too, whether it's at a replacement sale, or a regular sale barn.

Scotty":e3h9tusj said:

Scotty

A true cattlemen know's and buy's on quality and not color.
Quality calfs always bring top dollar here, might be because we don't wear rose colored glasses to the salebarn.

jersey lilly":gi7aj897 said:
I'm not real clear on what kinda sale this was....hereford influence? I mean I understand that what your saying is, they have to be part hereford. But Your list doesn't state whether they were heifers, steers, or bull calves. Just weights and prices.

Black brings more here too, whether it's at a replacement sale, or a regular sale barn.

They were all Steers or Heifers. No bulls allowed.

I know the info was sketchy, and I apologize for the lack of detail. My wife took the call this morning while I was at work, so the details are lacking. I posted what she was told over the phone just because I thought some might find it interesting. I'm still waiting for my check to see how my straight Hereford steers did.

Caustic Burno'":30guql7g said:
Scotty":30guql7g said:

Scotty

Quality calfs always bring top dollar here, might be because we don't wear rose colored glasses to the salebarn.

Agree. Better cattle, better money.

Scotty

Sorry. Around here is central Texas. The barns I go to are in Comanche, Dublin, Stephenville and Brownwood. Sell alot at Jordans in San Saba also.

Scotty

Scotty":2if3ufer said:

Sorry. Around here is central Texas. The barns I go to are in Comanche, Dublin, Stephenville and Brownwood. Sell alot at Jordans in San Saba also.

Scotty

Thanks Scotty. You really are right in the middle of Texas!

Scotty":bif8bjyd said:

Scotty
Well well well texas cowboy. I think Im just going to call you on that...how long will it take you to put me together 2 or 3 loads of those strait herefords for the price of dairy steers?? And how much is your buying commision?? Just name your price.....make it easy on yourself to...steers bulls heifers you name it weighing from 2 up to 900. that should make it easy for you?? I can even wire transfer the money for our 1st deal if you feel better that way.Tell me when to have the trucks there please

Ok, I have the official breakdown now.

#1 Hereford Steers
520 lb. $120.50 cwt
585 lb. $115.00 cwt
660 lb. $111.75 cwt
739 lb. $108.75 cwt
833 lb. $101.75 cwt

#1 Hereford Heifers
432 lb. $111.00 cwt
514 lb. $106.50 cwt
590 lb. $107.00 cwt
659 lb. $102.00 cwt
756 lb. $100.00 cwt

Black baldies and #2 Herefords of each weight break were sold separately, but in each case brought very similar money.

The buyers were from feedlots which feed Herefords for CHB and Hereford Verified beef.

Once again, sorry for the lack of detail in my original post. I hope this clears things up.

LOL @ tapeworm

Thats a good one. Around here, tan an grey tops the market although quality sells high and crap sells low no matter what the color. Be carefull he could send you a truck load of crap an just not know there are good herefords out there.
Alot of people are in the dark ages, you know the 80's

Be good you all

MD

tapeworm":1qb7dy3s said:
Scotty":1qb7dy3s said:

Scotty
Well well well texas cowboy. I think Im just going to call you on that...how long will it take you to put me together 2 or 3 loads of those strait herefords for the price of dairy steers?? And how much is your buying commision?? Just name your price.....make it easy on yourself to...steers bulls heifers you name it weighing from 2 up to 900. that should make it easy for you?? I can even wire transfer the money for our 1st deal if you feel better that way.Tell me when to have the trucks there please

3 dollars per hundred. PM me with your info and I will get the wheele moving. 8)

Scotty

Caustic Burno'":3usousfq said:
Scotty":3usousfq said:

Scotty

Could not agree more - unfortunately there are a great many who still live on colour.

I took a straight Herf calf to the sale barn - it followed better calves into the ring.

I got a better price because mine had a little throw back in it from about 6 or 8 generations ago - it was yellow - the pic has been posted here before. They actually called it a Simm.

It got about 20 cents more - colour only - it was not any where near as nice as the straight reds in front of it.

Go figure.

Bez'

tapeworm":1lnqsh1h said:
Scotty":1lnqsh1h said:

Scotty

I will take a load also at dairy prices.

Campground Cattle":2n6g4z98 said:
tapeworm":2n6g4z98 said:
Scotty":2n6g4z98 said:

Scotty

I will take a load also at dairy prices.

Camp - come to think of it that might not be a bad idea.

Bez'

Hey Scotty, I'll let you buy me a load of those #1, 5 wt green Hereford steers too at dairy steer prices.

Wel OK every one place your orders. The last few years every one rips on Angus. Rip Rip Rip. WELL WELL WELL, I say one thing to get the hereford people going and see what happens. Pot calling the kettle black. Go ahead and search for all the posts for CAB and how every one on the boards runs it down.

Scotty

Scotty":1hqx4llt said:
Wel OK every one place your orders. The last few years every one rips on Angus. Rip Rip Rip. WELL WELL WELL, I say one thing to get the hereford people going and see what happens. Pot calling the kettle black. Go ahead and search for all the posts for CAB and how every one on the boards runs it down.

Scotty
You never heard or seen me run CAB down. CHB either. I just want some of those cheap Herefords.

Latest posts