• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

local food movement

Howdyjabo

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2004
Messages
2,062
Reaction score
0
Location
NC
I am on a list serve for a local foods group.
I think the local food craze is a good thing.
But........ some of these farmers are really unrealistic and they have NO idea that they are.

They expect to make $50,000 a year(like at their old job) on 20 acres. I know that there are going to be a lucky few that hit a niche market and can do real well. But their GOAL seems to be to have everyone selling local succeeding that well.

I got bashed BAD- for having the nerve to undercut their prices($10-$28 /lb grassfed). They said that by selling my beef local(even though mine is not grasssfed) I was ruining their whole system and taking them right back to where the "farmer" can't make a good living.
I am all for the farmer making a good living-- but if I can make a good living in a local market that does not directly compete with theirs
I don't see why they should worry about what I do.

They(as in "influential parties") are trying to keep the local marketing system(government funded) being developed to "grass fed" only now-- or I wouldn't care what they did or thought.
 

I luv herfrds

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
5,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Montana
No surprise here Howdy.
some people cannot stand competition in any form and figure they should have all the rights to just one thing.

Got a family north of us who's kids started raising canilope for a 4-H project. They then started selling the melons at the farmers market. There was quite a bit of b*tchin from some other people, but these were ripe melons and they couldn't keep the truck full.
They are still selling melons and a bunch of people are still buying from them.
 

grannysoo

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
4,813
Reaction score
0
Location
The Briar Patch
Howdyjabo":6dtint74 said:
I got bashed BAD- for having the nerve to undercut their prices($10-$28 /lb grassfed). They said that by selling my beef local(even though mine is not grasssfed) I was ruining their whole system and taking them right back to where the "farmer" can't make a good living.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Poor babies.... can't compete with howdyjabo.
 

marksmu

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2009
Messages
213
Reaction score
0
Location
Deep South East Texas - Chambers County
I hate to see this type of complaining...its the USA - you can do what you want - nobody gets to tell you otherwise...anything other than free market is bad.

If these people had that much better quality, people would buy their meat and not yours. Its ridiculous. So sorry if they are not going to get rich ripping people off....They can try all they want to keep you out, and unless they are successful, you are going to slaughter them in the sales. $10-$28/lb is some pricey meat...and grass fed at that.
 

ToddFarmsInc

Well-known member
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
336
Reaction score
0
Location
Topeka KS
Howdyjabo":37g0sfam said:
... I got bashed BAD- for having the nerve to undercut their prices($10-$28 /lb grassfed). They said that by selling my beef local(even though mine is not grasssfed) I was ruining their whole system and taking them right back to where the "farmer" can't make a good living. ...

Holy Flaming Beefsteaks! at 10 - 28 bucks a pound, I would expect the beef to be served to me, grilled to perfection wrapped in bacon with a nice glass of wine of to the side. Whoops, sounds like you had plenty of whine... :lol2:
 

ToddFarmsInc

Well-known member
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
336
Reaction score
0
Location
Topeka KS
OH OH OH.... I just thought of another.....


Next time take along some "locally cultured cheese".....


to serve along with their whine..... :banana:
 

Busterz

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 11, 2008
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Location
SW Kansas
Just to play devil's advocate :devil2:

You are competing against them, there is a price point for your product and their's where consumers will shift from their product to yours.

Another point, not directed at you or your operation because I have no idea what its like, but the problem they are describing isn't much different than say a smaller full time rancher trying to make a living competing against part-time ranchers who fund their operation from outside sources which skews the costs and profitability and competition of the market. Its tough to compete against people operating at a loss.

I wouldn't fault anybody for trying to make as much money as they can. I think you see a lot of people in the cattle business who have resigned themselves to the idea that you can't make much/any money with cattle.

But as to your situation, if you are comfortable with the profits you are making there really isn't much you can do about controlling the market demands.
 

Frankie

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
6,915
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
Howdyjabo":35awolxl said:
I am on a list serve for a local foods group.
I think the local food craze is a good thing.
But........ some of these farmers are really unrealistic and they have NO idea that they are.

They expect to make $50,000 a year(like at their old job) on 20 acres. I know that there are going to be a lucky few that hit a niche market and can do real well. But their GOAL seems to be to have everyone selling local succeeding that well.

I got bashed BAD- for having the nerve to undercut their prices($10-$28 /lb grassfed). They said that by selling my beef local(even though mine is not grasssfed) I was ruining their whole system and taking them right back to where the "farmer" can't make a good living.
I am all for the farmer making a good living-- but if I can make a good living in a local market that does not directly compete with theirs
I don't see why they should worry about what I do.

They(as in "influential parties") are trying to keep the local marketing system(government funded) being developed to "grass fed" only now-- or I wouldn't care what they did or thought.

I hope all the "grassfed", "natural", "organic," whatever else producers can make a buck. But they tick me off big time when they run down regular beef to justify the higher prices for their product. :mad:

If they're trying to change the rules on you, you probably need to speak out before it happens. It would be easier to stop it than get it changed back. Point out to whoever runs the market that because your product is cheaper, and just as good, it probably brings more people into the market than the high dollar beef. Can you sell your beef as "natural". Generally that's just no antibiotics or hormones. Good luck....
 

marksmu

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2009
Messages
213
Reaction score
0
Location
Deep South East Texas - Chambers County
Busterz":1mlgrahm said:
Another point, not directed at you or your operation because I have no idea what its like, but the problem they are describing isn't much different than say a smaller full time rancher trying to make a living competing against part-time ranchers who fund their operation from outside sources which skews the costs and profitability and competition of the market. Its tough to compete against people operating at a loss.

This is a constant problem everywhere - I am not full time yet, but sure as heck dont want to operate at a loss..until I build the herd up though, that is exactly what I will be doing...operating at a loss. Unfortunately many people use cattle as lawnmowers - they buy 20 or so, and a bull, turn em out, and never look at them again. Tough to compete against someone who isnt playing the game with the same set of rules.
 

Busterz

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 11, 2008
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Location
SW Kansas
"I hope all the "grassfed", "natural", "organic," whatever else producers can make a buck. But they tick me off big time when they run down regular beef to justify the higher prices for their product. "

Another interesting topic. How do you differentiate your product without p-ssing everyone off? You think its a better product but everyone who does things the "normal" way gets ticked off because they think you are running their product down.
 

Frankie

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
6,915
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
Busterz":38u89vk1 said:
"I hope all the "grassfed", "natural", "organic," whatever else producers can make a buck. But they tick me off big time when they run down regular beef to justify the higher prices for their product. "

Another interesting topic. How do you differentiate your product without p-ssing everyone off? You think its a better product but everyone who does things the "normal" way gets ticked off because they think you are running their product down.

IMO, if you can't promote YOUR product without knocking MY product, perhaps YOUR product is not so great?
 

Howdyjabo

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2004
Messages
2,062
Reaction score
0
Location
NC
I don't run down commercial meat-for the money you can't beat it and it meets the needs of most people.
I just point out how mine is different and hopefully some people will want to pay for the difference.

Really the only differences are that
it is dry aged(hard to find that in a grocery store) , it does taste and cook better
its local( the whole process supports the local economy)
There is a personal touch all the way thru- I can tell you a name for who raised it,fed it;killed it, processed it and transported it.
the ground beef comes from only one animal
And its fully finished(not something that most people can do cost effectively around here)

And you can throw in its hormone and antibiotic free-- although personally I wouldn't pay more for that.

I guess if I wanted to try and increase my market share I could run down the commercial market- but in the end that would only hurt me and all my neighbors. And the way things are right now theres enough people out there already doing it for me :(

As far as what they can offer that I cannot-- is that it is grass fed (personally.....YUCK) and most of the time its whole life was spent in one place.
I get a kick out of what some people are trying to call special and worth paying big bucks for-- Its just a calf straight off the cow grazing fescue. The exact same thing anyone could go to any stockyard and buy any day of the week- and take it to a processor themselves.

There is one guy in our area that grass FINISHES. He puts a lot of risk and money into inter seeding pastures with high energy forages year round(not easy/cost effective in our climate/soil). Hes the one that gets the really big bucks- and hes not the least bit worried about competition from me.
 

S&WSigma40VEShooter

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
805
Reaction score
0
Location
East TN
Howdyjabo":d69l2aki said:
I don't run down commercial meat-for the money you can't beat it and it meets the needs of most people.
I just point out how mine is different and hopefully some people will want to pay for the difference.

Really the only differences are that
it is dry aged(hard to find that in a grocery store) , it does taste and cook better
its local( the whole process supports the local economy)
There is a personal touch all the way thru- I can tell you a name for who raised it,fed it;killed it, processed it and transported it.
the ground beef comes from only one animal
And its fully finished(not something that most people can do cost effectively around here)

And you can throw in its hormone and antibiotic free-- although personally I wouldn't pay more for that.

I guess if I wanted to try and increase my market share I could run down the commercial market- but in the end that would only hurt me and all my neighbors. And the way things are right now theres enough people out there already doing it for me :(

As far as what they can offer that I cannot-- is that it is grass fed (personally.....YUCK) and most of the time its whole life was spent in one place.
I get a kick out of what some people are trying to call special and worth paying big bucks for-- Its just a calf straight off the cow grazing fescue. The exact same thing anyone could go to any stockyard and buy any day of the week- and take it to a processor themselves.

There is one guy in our area that grass FINISHES. He puts a lot of risk and money into inter seeding pastures with high energy forages year round(not easy/cost effective in our climate/soil). Hes the one that gets the really big bucks- and hes not the least bit worried about competition from me.

If you sell great beef and word of mouth spreads you can outsell those grassers as I call em 10 fold. At least I do.
 

talldog

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Location
Willard, North Carolina
Same thing here,Howdy. Lady told me last week she could buy a half cheaper from someone else. I guess you know about what I said. Comes to find out she couldn't use a half, which is all that I sell ! You can't be everything to everybody !! :tiphat:
 
Top