Local cattle associations?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
For those of you that are members of your local/county cattle association, what do they do?
I got asked to join the one in the county where one of the sale barns I go to is pushing all the things they do. They have nine meetings a year all with meals and do 3 scholarships a year, $500 I think.

All this started when the manger asked me if our county had one and what they did. Really had to think about it as they don't have but one meeting a year but dues are cheap.

Just curious as to what other associations do.

We have about 5 meetings a year, and have Supper at each one. We talk about news and issues that affect us, and have a sponsor at each meeting, be it a Feed company, Ag Credit, and so forth. Most of all we get to see one another and shoot the bull for a couple hours. Oh, I almost neglected we have Political guests at some meetings too.

Crowderfarms":3dko1lhe said:
We have about 5 meetings a year, and have Supper at each one. We talk about news and issues that affect us, and have a sponsor at each meeting, be it a Feed company, Ag Credit, and so forth. Most of all we get to see one another and shoot the bull for a couple hours. Oh, I almost neglected we have Political guests at some meetings too.
I forgot feed companies have come, vets and I forget who else. But we only hear about the association once year at meeting time, wish we would do at least 2 a year. I would be will to pay more.

Crowderfarms":1pg8ztiv said:
We have about 5 meetings a year, and have Supper at each one. We talk about news and issues that affect us, and have a sponsor at each meeting, be it a Feed company, Ag Credit, and so forth. Most of all we get to see one another and shoot the bull for a couple hours. Oh, I almost neglected we have Political guests at some meetings too. My personal favorite was Barrack Obama!

Huh? :shock:

Pretty much the same here, dues are 10 bucks/year. Most folks show up for the meetings for the $5 buffet and to shoot the bull. We pool orders for minerals, posts, seed, wormer, etc. Saves a bunch of money on certain things.

Our local sales barn, 2 mobile scale units, community pastures and U.S. Export facilities are all owned by our local cattlemen's association, so each meeting focuses around the reports dealing with these operations. Majority of local information seminars and projects are also spearheaded by them as well, so that keeps them all busy. Membership is $5.00 I believe. No fancy buffets...even at the annual meeting. Each director (about 9 of them?) gets assigned a portfolio (Community Pasture Manager, Sales Barn Manager, Vet Committee, Scales Manager etc. etc.), and does monthly reports on it. Dad has been on it for 3 or 4 terms during his life. The 2nd last time, he was in charge of the Vet Committee, who's job it is to help find large animal vets and lure them into the area. :cowboy:

I belong to ours here in Laurel County but have never been to a meeting so I have no idea what they are like. I did however get $2,000.00 matching funds for fertilizer or lime applications for this year through them. It was actually money left over from last year from what I understand. I didn't join last year until the applications were already in for it but I got lucky since they had some left over. They also have matching funds for fencing, hay barns etc every year.

spoon":y1x54ov4 said:
I belong to ours here in Laurel County but have never been to a meeting so I have no idea what they are like. I did however get $2,000.00 matching funds for fertilizer or lime applications for this year through them. It was actually money left over from last year from what I understand. I didn't join last year until the applications were already in for it but I got lucky since they had some left over. They also have matching funds for fencing, hay barns etc every year.

Ours manages the money that comes from the state from tobacco settlement funds also. The money does not actually come from them.

I knew it wasn't their money because there is no way they could raise that much money to give away @ $15 a member per year. That is why I said through them, not from them. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm sure there are lots of benefits I'm not aware of since I haven't made it to a meeting yet.

Latest posts