Local Bull Sales

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Eayrs Angus Ranch of Glasgow and Fallon, MT had their sale yesterday...They are an old local outfit that has been raising angus since 1962- altho a few years ago they partnered with Leachmans (before that went bust) on some Gelbvieh composite bulls- and about 1/2 the bulls they sell now are unregistered and have some Gelbvieh influence...

Top bull selling was an unpapered composite bull sired by Centennial Strategist 199 that sold for $2750....
Several of the angus bulls sold for heifer bulls- as the herd has quite a reputation for calving ease bulls...

33 bulls averaged around $1600
They had a $1300 minimum on the bulls and had 4 no sales...

Pair prices were good tho- with first calf heifer pairs selling from $1200 to $1270.....

Drizzled and spit rain all day...We've gotten about 1/4 inch all together...Still hasn't turned to snow- but my wifes friend called her- and said they were on the way back from Billings and ran into bad roads so are spending the night in a Motel in beautiful downtown Jordan Mt....

Big Dry Angus has their sale tomorrow - and I'm beginning to think Brent has been living right- as it seems to rain every year at their sale- so they get a fantastic turnout of folks that don't want to work in the mud and want to celebrate the rain- and have green grass and bulls on their mind...

Today I attended a "cow country" bull sale- McRaes Big Dry Angus Sale...And it was the hottest bull sale I attended this year- with hands waving everywhere from a crowd that just got some rain- and really showed some optimism...

Bulls looked really good- and being home raised were in perfect shape to go to work without melting away (not over fat like some feedlot/test bulls)...They consistently weighed around 1150-1200 lbs with a few on either side...All very quiet- with no signs of disposition problems ( Hillari says she put the bull whisperers hex on them ;) ).....

The 61 bulls averaged $3015-- with the top bull being $4100 and the low bull being $2200- all going to cow people- and not an average made by a multi dollar bull swap between bull peddlers- altho some of the folks I talked to were using the bulls for their registered herds....

Charlie, Brent and Jack have built up a following of those Missouri River and northeast Montana folks that are very pleased with their program and very loyal...

At the start of the sale Brent delivered a fine tribute to his Dad- Charlie- a long time cattle, horse, and sheepman- who passed away earlier this month...

Top bull was Lot 26- a Vermillion Danny Boy R231 son (mgs SAF Directive) that sold to Robert Cosgriff for $4100...

Lots of $3600-$3500 bulls sold....Got to the point that if they didn't sell for $3000, you started wondering what you were missing seeing :???:

Lots of multiple buyers with Bruce Ferguson buying at least 7 bulls- Rathert Ranch buying 6 bulls- with several others buying 3-4....

Afterward the Big Dry crew hosted their normal gettogether where you get to see folks you only see once or twice every year (bull sale and rodeo time) .... Personally I really liked the looks of some of the smaller framed B D A R Boomerang P035 sons- that Brent said just went to a major bull stud (? my oldtimers disease is showing up again) for collection/distribution...

Anyway a big congratulations to the Big Dry crew....

Sounds like bulls are worth a lot more in MT. I spent my youth hunting bow hunting north and south of the Robinson bridge for elk, as well as gunning along the high line for birds, antelope, and mulies. :D Then I got into the cattle business...

Central Minnesota is awash with black angus bulls. Cows are going to town and decent yearling bulls are selling for $0.80 to $0.95 per pound.

Oldtimer":n34vz7bd said:
Today I attended a "cow country" bull sale- McRaes Big Dry Angus Sale...And it was the hottest bull sale I attended this year- with hands waving everywhere from a crowd that just got some rain- and really showed some optimism...

Bulls looked really good- and being home raised were in perfect shape to go to work without melting away (not over fat like some feedlot/test bulls)...They consistently weighed around 1150-1200 lbs with a few on either side...All very quiet- with no signs of disposition problems ( Hillari says she put the bull whisperers hex on them ;) ).....

The 61 bulls averaged $3015-- with the top bull being $4100 and the low bull being $2200- all going to cow people- and not an average made by a multi dollar bull swap between bull peddlers- altho some of the folks I talked to were using the bulls for their registered herds....

Charlie, Brent and Jack have built up a following of those Missouri River and northeast Montana folks that are very pleased with their program and very loyal...

At the start of the sale Brent delivered a fine tribute to his Dad- Charlie- a long time cattle, horse, and sheepman- who passed away earlier this month...

Top bull was Lot 26- a Vermillion Danny Boy R231 son (mgs SAF Directive) that sold to Robert Cosgriff for $4100...

Lots of $3600-$3500 bulls sold....Got to the point that if they didn't sell for $3000, you started wondering what you were missing seeing :???:

Lots of multiple buyers with Bruce Ferguson buying at least 7 bulls- Rathert Ranch buying 6 bulls- with several others buying 3-4....

Afterward the Big Dry crew hosted their normal gettogether where you get to see folks you only see once or twice every year (bull sale and rodeo time) .... Personally I really liked the looks of some of the smaller framed B D A R Boomerang P035 sons- that Brent said just went to a major bull stud (? my oldtimers disease is showing up again) for collection/distribution...

Anyway a big congratulations to the Big Dry crew....

Big Dry Angus Bull Sale
Jordan, MT
(Glasgow, MT)
April 16, 2009

Top Bull: Lot 26–BDAR Danny U031, 3-20-08 bull by Vermilion Danny Boy R231. To Robert Cosgriff, Jordan, MT, for $4,100.

Lot 31–BDAR Predestined U036, 3-26-08 bull by G A R Predestined. To Scott McGowan, Poplar, MT, for $3,900.

Lot 76–BDAR Kahlua U109, 4-21-08 bull by SydGen Kahlua 4204. To John McKerlick, Jordan, MT, for $3,900.

Lot 34–BDAR Predestined U039, 3-26-08 bull by G A R Predestined. To Dean Clark, Brusett, MT, for $3,700.

Lots Gross Average
66 Total Bulls $198,990.00 $3,015.00
66 Reported Sale Total $198,990.00 $3,015.00

Auctioneer: Roger Jacobs
API Representative: Andy Rest

Yesterday I took in the North Country Angus Bull Sale...Northmont- Lee Humbert and Jim Fossum selling close to 100 bulls in their 21st combined sale at the Glasgow Montana Stockyards....For awhile I thought maybe Lee had learned Big Dry's rainmaking secret for getting sale crowds--but all we ended up with was some snow flurries... ;-)

Bulls looked good- bulls sold good...An enthusiastic crowd...
My rough figures has Lee averaging close to $2600 on 44 bulls and Jim averaging $2100 on about 49 bulls...

Top bull was Northmonts Lot 9-- H A R Peerless 8311 #16260562 a Humbert Onward 6415 son (mgs Humbert Newsmaker 1801)which sold to the Yeager Ranch for $5250..

Yeagers also bought Lot 1 Humbert Hi Line 8667 # 16224569- a Master Guru 5629 son out of a HAR Harlem 2207 sired cow for $3250
and Fossums Lot 164 F A R Emblazon 164 # 16197986 a BH Emblazon 001 son (mgs Roth Traveler 9519) for $4250...

Several other multiple buyers with Ray Garber and Ben Lee Danielson buying about a half dozen apiece...

Jim also sold all his replacement heifers as commercial, since he says he is cutting back some.....115 Heifers sold in lots of 10- bringing between $710 and $790....

Congratulations to Lee and Jim on a good sale and some good bulls/heifers...

North Country Breeders Bull Sale
Glasgow, MT
April 24, 2009

Top Bull: Lot 9–Har Peerless 8311, 3-14-08 bull by Humbert Onward 6415. From Humbert Angus,Scobey, MT. To Yeager Ranch, Hilger, MT, for $5,250.

Lot 164–F A R Emblazon 164, 4-4-08 bull by B H Emblazon 001. From Fossum Angus, Richland, MT. To Yeager Ranch, Hilger, MT, for $4,250.

Lot 18–Har Turner 8336, 3-22-08 bull by Humbert New Design 6481. From Humbert Angus,Scobey, MT. To Daryl Fladager, Peerless, MT, for $3,500.

Lot 27–Humbert Hi Line 8687, 3-25-08 bull by Master Guru 5629. From Humbert Angus,Scobey, MT. To BDC Farms, Scobey, MT, for $3,500.

Lot 108–F A R Focus 108, 3-16-08 bull by Dr J Apex Focus 053-L6. From Fossum Angus, Richland, MT. To Max Asheim, Reserve, MT, for $4,750.

Lots Gross Average
93 yrlg. bulls $215,560.00 $2,318.00
93 Total Bulls $215,560.00 $2,318.00
115 commercial open heifers (head) $86,250.00 $750.00
93 Reported Sale Total $215,560.00 $2,318.00

Auctioneer: Roger Jacobs
API Representative: Andy Rest

Latest posts