Loafing shed

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I am building a loafing shed for my calves I have 3. I was wondering exactly how big of a shed I would need for them. I was thinking of 12w x 16L x 8' tall.. I also wondered if someone can tell me how to tell the direction of prevailing wind.

Our poor cows have to tough it out in the woods when the weather's bad.
Where do most of your storms come from?

most storms come from the South I think... not sure .. Well I only have 3 makes lil easier to put one up...lol

Usually, a loafing shed is set up to shield against winter North area winds. If you don't know which direction your winter winds come from, go to a national weather site and search for wind directions for your general area.

skyhightree1":1u1oq4jv said:
I am building a loafing shed for my calves I have 3. I was wondering exactly how big of a shed I would need for them. I was thinking of 12w x 16L x 8' tall.. I also wondered if someone can tell me how to tell the direction of prevailing wind.

As someone else said protect them from the winter, north wind. The only other time they will use it is if there's heavy inclement weather summer or winter. If you have other shade available they will not be under the shelter when the sun is hot. Conclusion: determine which way is north; put a wall on that side. Also make sure it drains well.

Suggest you use screws and not nails. Here in the midwest we catch a lot of violent thunderstorm winds and our loafing shed has been wrecked 3 times in 20 years.

Consider putting it on skids so it is moveable, pipe if possible. You wont be sorry. And I strongly agree with the screws instead of nails. Doesnt necessarily have to be 12 feet wide though if its on skids. Just go 8 feet so you can drag it through gates easier. 16X8 is plenty for 3 adult animals, but bigger is always better for these things. If I think I need 16X8, I will build 24X8. You won't regret that either. Just my opinions, you know what you need. Good luck!

Is 8 foot high enough to get a tractor under if you need to for cleaning?

skyhightree1":1czza4w2 said:

Most blizzards/storms come out of the north. I would face the open part of the shed south. Your dimensions are more than adequate for 3 calves - even when they reach maturity.

Here in SW Ohio most of our winter storms come from the west. We actually get a lot of wet weather from the south. We have a bank barn that is open to the north and it rarely gets any snow underneath. You should defnatly check on that with neighbors or a weather service as mentioned above. Better yet put it on skids. That way you can adjust it to the prevaling winds as your leaning wind the wind patterns for your area. Also, think about building some type of shutters for the back side. That way you can get some cross ventalation in the summer. Your cattle will love you for that one.

Here are some plans http://www.cps.gov.on.ca/english/bc1000/beef.htm It's ugly but you can dress it up with metal siding or T-11 to make it look a little better.

Seems like if its on skids height won't matter as much either. To clean it you just pull it to a new spot with your truck or tractor.
Our neighbor has a few of these, he got rid of cattle a few years ago and now uses them to stack wood. They're still pretty usefull. You dont pay taxes on a building built on skids either.

Good Luck
Tim

Don't ya'll get some bad north easters up there. Seems our coldest weather here comes from your area and I suspect it would be the same. We'll get a bad north wind bringing in the cold but then it settles down to a constant northeastern direction. Two sided barn might not be a bad idea.

For a small shed like that I really like the idea of putting it on skids. Treated 5X6 12 feet long, build it 8 ft wide. Move it according to the weather and mud. Bad thing :cry: a strong wind may tip it over or worse.

msscamp":2sswsy5p said:
dun":2sswsy5p said:

No. Even for a skidsteer, it needs to be at least 9' high.

Well msscamp :???: Lots of skidsteers will fit under a 8 ft opening and tractors to. :nod: I have a 742B Bobcat and go right in to a 7x9 garage door. Isn't the biggest Bobcat but certainly not the smallest. :cowboy:

mnmtranching":29wzkuce said:
msscamp":29wzkuce said:
dun":29wzkuce said:

No. Even for a skidsteer, it needs to be at least 9' high.

Well msscamp :???: Lots of skidsteers will fit under a 8 ft opening and tractors to. :nod: I have a 742B Bobcat and go right in to a 7x9 garage door. Isn't the biggest Bobcat but certainly not the smallest. :cowboy:
I've got a 32 hp Kubota for cleaning barns and stuff, Just fitsin an 8 foot door, as long as there isn;t anything piled up on the floor

Hey,
Thanks for everyones imput yes I will check what direction it needs to be put in.. No 8 foot is plenty room I can use my Farmall Cub to clean it out so that shouldnt be a issue. I appreciate all your imput.

Latest posts