Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
We tried to load a cow into a trailer with a pretty high step up, about knee high on her. She would get her head in and turn back. Tried for about 10 minutes to get her in. The trailer was sparkley clean from being used as a furniture hauler. Took some hay and scattered it at the entrance to sort of hide the floor and metal at the end. She walked up and took a look, cranked her tail and she stepped right in.

dun

Dun

Good idea. I'll try to keep it in mind whenever encountering reluctant cow. I've used the trail of hay to get cattle to cross where an electric fence was opened or removed.

Thanks for sharing.

Brock

My trailer is quite high so I put a slide out ramp under the back. Two inch square tubing covered with expanded metal sliding into a 3 inch angle iron frame. Drop one pin through a hole to keep it all nice and neat.

We used to have to do that when we'd load hogs. There was not step up, but we had a movable ramp we put in place while loading onto the pickup. We always had to straw the back of the truck and ramp to look like the inside of the pen, then they would walk right on. If you didn't, you just as well start picking them up and throwing them on, because they werent' gonna go. Camoflage is a wonderful think. Straw is cheap too. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts