Loading up cattles and Austrailian cattle dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Dogs are a mixed blessing around cattle. Good cattle dogs are worth their weight in dog chow, sorry cattle dogs do nothing but stir up the cattle and make the whole job much more difficult. The breed of the dog is less important than his disposition and cattle sense. Some of the better cattle dogs I have worked with were not herding dogs at all, but mixed breed mutts. If your cattle are gentle and are used to having you around, you don't really need dogs. D.R. Cattle is exactly right about loading chutes. If you are going to raise cattle, you just have to have good working pens and chutes.

I agree with both of the above replies. If you are going to load cattle, good sturdy pens are a must! I am in the process right now of building a new 64' by 64' pen. I have a blue heeler with no formal training, and she is good for moving cattle in some instances, but will get you hurt in others.

Recently we were trying to load a 500lb Longghorn steer so we could move it to another place and feed it out. We just threw together a small pen of T-posts and cattle panel against a pasture fence. The cattle came in the pen easily with a little feed, and we culled most of them out, leaving the steer and a few others. We then got a trailer and tried to load him (no chute). He would not go into the trailer and ended up going air born and smashing the cattle panel down. After 2 times, I told the owner we need a real pen if we're going to be loading cattle out of this pasture.

My experience with the dog has been that she is good for getting cattle into a pen from a wide open pasture, but when you are trying to cull cattle in the pen, she gets them to stirred up. In a confined space the cattle seem to turn on the dog, who usually runs back to me! :shock: So then I have a mad cow (no pun intended), coming at me and a scared dog.

TXBobcat":1ofh1d2d said:
I agree with both of the above replies. If you are going to load cattle, good sturdy pens are a must! I am in the process right now of building a new 64' by 64' pen. I have a blue heeler with no formal training, and she is good for moving cattle in some instances, but will get you hurt in others.

Recently we were trying to load a 500lb Longghorn steer so we could move it to another place and feed it out. We just threw together a small pen of T-posts and cattle panel against a pasture fence. The cattle came in the pen easily with a little feed, and we culled most of them out, leaving the steer and a few others. We then got a trailer and tried to load him (no chute). He would not go into the trailer and ended up going air born and smashing the cattle panel down. After 2 times, I told the owner we need a real pen if we're going to be loading cattle out of this pasture.

My experience with the dog has been that she is good for getting cattle into a pen from a wide open pasture, but when you are trying to cull cattle in the pen, she gets them to stirred up. In a confined space the cattle seem to turn on the dog, who usually runs back to me! :shock: So then I have a mad cow (no pun intended), coming at me and a scared dog.

Latest posts