Loading cattle through the squeeze chute.

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
I am trying to redesign a corral. The present corral is falling apart and won't hold up to next fall's weaning, sorting, and working cows. I was thinking of moving the squeeze chute in a different location and letting it double as a loading chute in order to save time and money. I don't know why it wouldn't work. Any ideas?
J. T.

I do not know why it will not work either - I do it all the time.

Regards,

Bez

Just have to watch those levers when backing up to it. Some brands have levers sticking out front. Leave it closed and crowd them in the chute. Open the headgate and they think they have a place to go. Once the first one goes the rest will follow. ( hopefully )

you do have to watch the levers and the main disadvantage is that if you have your squeeze chute set up for loading it means that once an animal is released from the chute its free. if you have the funds it will pay to angle your working chute off from the main chute you use for loading. its best to feed a squeeze chute back into the pens so if youre doctoring an animal and dont want to turn it out yet or you miss the catch on a calf or cow you dont have them loose i n the pasture again. if your done for now but want to work on them again soon or if you miss the catch you still have them caught in the pens. its not absolutely necessary but its a nice feature

Mine has a sorting gate just before the squeeze and headgate. One way they go to the squeeze the other they go to the loading chute. Both are inside the alley. I can also use this gate to cut one before the squeeze if need be. Or vice versa. That gate there sure makes sorting a lot easier if working by myself.

the best thing is to have 2 allys the straight ally for a loading chute and have an ally splitting off of it leading to the squeeze plus no worries out busting it with trailer loading out scott

bigbull338":2obv1ln5 said:
the best thing is to have 2 allys the straight ally for a loading chute and have an ally splitting off of it leading to the squeeze plus no worries out busting it with trailer loading out scott

i agree totally... you can try to do too much in one area... i have an 8' loading alley... not tied to anything else in my working area... i can put the cows/calves to be loaded in there and hold em as long as need... then load as desired.. this alley can be an option for any animal ran thru the head gate ... i just dont think the trailer needs to be the next thing after the head gate.. that will get too congested.. and make for slower loading of a trailer load...

jmo

jt

plus unless you have everything in the loading chute you will have to have a man there to keep them from coming out the trailer an really balling things up scott