Load lot receiving pens (size and material)

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90

Reaction score
I've outgrown my current receiving pens and will be adding on soon. I plan on using cattle panel to build a new receiving pen to get calves started on feed and easy access to treat sick calves. What size lot and material do y'all like to use?

This don't answer your question at all, but 12 or 15 is the most I want to settle at one time. It's hard to get to 70 that way to ofcourse.

That sounds like a good low risk way to get started, about what I'm set up for now. If a man took in that many every week all year and kept them until he could make $100 bill per head that wouldn't be chicken feed and still keep a day job.

RanchMan90":3jfxil4w said:
That sounds like a good low risk way to get started, about what I'm set up for now. If a man took in that many every week all year and kept them until he could make $100 bill per head that wouldn't be chicken feed and still keep a day job.

If uniformity is your goal, it's actually hard to put together a load in my area most of the year.

Bigfoot":1ar4paoh said:
RanchMan90":1ar4paoh said:

If uniformity is your goal, it's actually hard to put together a load in my area most of the year.
Whatever makes a dollar. You've got me thinking now. If you took in 15 per week and kept them for 90 days you would only have to own 210 at one time. That would be 700-800 hd per year. With buying and selling every week would have great cash flow and ride out the high and low markets of the year.

RanchMan90":2udz97v2 said:
Bigfoot":2udz97v2 said:
RanchMan90":2udz97v2 said:

Whatever makes a dollar. You've got me thinking now. If you took in 15 per week and kept them for 90 days you would only have to own 210 at one time. That would be 700-800 hd per year. With buying and selling every week would have great cash flow and ride out the high and low markets of the year.

Uniform loads would be more profitable. They are just hard to put together on your own (most of the year). If you had somebody hitting the yards for you here, it could be done.

So your saying buy calves feed them for 3 months then sell and buy another group ? So u could do 4 groups a year. So if u bought 5 weight steers and keep for 90 days how much weight would they gain? I have always wanted to do this but never have. I have one pasture at my house that I can run 10 cow calf pairs on. How many steers could I run at one time ?

pricefarm":g0jwvjs3 said:
So your saying buy calves feed them for 3 months then sell and buy another group ? So u could do 4 groups a year. So if u bought 5 weight steers and keep for 90 days how much weight would they gain? I have always wanted to do this but never have. I have one pasture at my house that I can run 10 cow calf pairs on. How many steers could I run at one time ?

Weight gain is pretty relative to the animal, what it's eating, and the time of year. From 1 pound of gain a day, up to 3. Common sense says 2 500 pound calves is an animal unit. I have found I can run a lot more calves on land than common sense dictates. Especially if I'm feeding them.

pricefarm":hx5rune2 said:
Yes on the 90 day deal. I would start with 3-5 head to get some good baseline cost and gain numbers. You could run as many as you want if theyre on full feed. An example would be to buy 500 lb bawling bull calves for $1.10 per lb and in 90-100 days their sale weight is 650 @ $1.10. Deduct feed costs of $90 ($1 a day) and vaccinations @ $10 for $65 profit. That's figuring 1.5 lb a day gain, no death loss, and conservative selling price.The potential is there for them to weigh 700 lbs @ $1.20 for a $190 profit, but i wouldnt count on it. This is just a strategy and your numbers will vary. The 90 day deal also gives you the flexibility to hold them longer <180 days if it benefits you financially. :2cents:

Bigfoot":11gbe5hd said:
RanchMan90":11gbe5hd said:
Bigfoot":11gbe5hd said:

Uniform loads would be more profitable. They are just hard to put together on your own (most of the year). If you had somebody hitting the yards for you here, it could be done.
Watching the Stanford KY sale on dv auctions now. Calves look to be 20¢ back from local prices. Wonder how those Eastern cattle would do out here?

RanchMan90":26qm6xoc said:
Bigfoot":26qm6xoc said:
RanchMan90":26qm6xoc said:

Watching the Stanford KY sale on dv auctions now. Calves look to be 20¢ back from local prices. Wonder how those Eastern cattle would do out here?

They would be fine, but the trip, and the fact most aren't vaccinated and weaned would eat the 20 cents up.

Bigfoot":1s4kxol0 said:
RanchMan90":1s4kxol0 said:
Bigfoot":1s4kxol0 said:

They would be fine, but the trip, and the fact most aren't vaccinated and weaned would eat the 20 cents up.
20¢ a lb on 50,000 lbs is $10,000.I can get them here for $2400. That's still a $7600 savings on 100 head. I buy unweaned bawling calves here to add the value myself. I'm not trying to question reason, just discussing. Ive always been told cattle can be shipped East to West, but not West to East. These won't be particularly for grazing though.

jedstivers":3uvlp5mm said:
90 days isn't enough. Need 120 or more.
I've been pondering the same thing myself. That's the point of buying these lighter weight calves is the lower cost of gain, retaining them a bit longer would capitalize on it. Those extra 30 days would pay their commission and freight. What's your logic Jed?

I can't get them fixed and headed in the right direction and still get enough weight in 90 days. I need 120. Some need more than that. I'm sure some would be ok in 90 but not enough. That last 30 will be the profit.

jedstivers":1g88b2po said:
I can't get them fixed and headed in the right direction and still get enough weight in 90 days. I need 120. Some need more than that. I'm sure some would be ok in 90 but not enough. That last 30 will be the profit.
That is sound advice. You buy cutting bulls right?

RanchMan90":28j5s1qc said:
jedstivers":28j5s1qc said:
That is sound advice. You buy cutting bulls right?
Mostly. There will be a few steers in the mix.
Last year had one that someone couldn't count to two on. Had one nut left and it was messed up so we couldn't get it. Left him alone and took a dock then I sold him.
We get 10-20% steers I think. Have never counted though.

jedstivers":1c0jujoe said:

What weight bull calves do u buy ?

Latest posts