Livestock water tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":3o8btplk said:
As to the trough itself. There are many options starting at an old bath tub and going up from there.

Now you're talking my kind of language. There was an old galvanized 1500 gallon tank that had galvanic corrosion all over the top of it. I cut it down, crimped the edges, and it has made on heck of a nice tank. Got an old bath tub with float valve coming off of my well that waters a holding pen at the house. It has worked great for some 20 plus years. Redneck is okay if you have no neighbors. Anyone peeking at it is in the pen and probably where they shouldn't bein the first place. Free is extremely cost effective for me.

OK people here is the new scoop.
There is public water to the property, but no meter or line to the building with the well, pump and electricity.
Meter cost : $405 cost to run a line from property line to the building where there is already water.
Cost of line: ?????????? Did even bother to get an estimate together.

Now I do thank you for all your suggestion, but if I utilize the pond as a source I will have to be pumping up hill. As the pond is at the very bottom of the watershed.
Plus I don't want the cost or maintenance of a pump.
So I decided to go with the well, which is at the top of hill and all I will need is a garden hose to connect to the existing out side spigot and I am go to go.

Now what I need is something to connect the other end of the hose too.
Again thanks for all your redneck suggestion to go along with 100s of my own, but I have been wanting to buy one like I see at the action bard that is freeze proof just to try one and see how they work as we do get some freezing weather here.

TT,
I finally got time to check out your "Ritchie dual service waterers".
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Do you have any cost figures on the larger Water Master units?
Thanks again
SL

Sir Loin":1oia9e2y said:
Plus I don't want the cost or maintenance of a pump.
So I decided to go with the well, which is at the top of hill and all I will need is a garden hose to connect to the existing out side spigot and I am go to go.

Now what I need is something to connect the other end of the hose too.
Again thanks for all your redneck suggestion to go along with 100s of my own, but I have been wanting to buy one like I see at the action bard that is freeze proof just to try one and see how they work as we do get some freezing weather here.

SL

You'll have problems running a "freeze proof" waterer on a frozen garden hose and outside spigot!! You better go back to the drawing board on that one.

TT,
Re:
Around $800 or so plus installation Sir Loin. I don't see that you would need more than a two hole unit though.

OK thanks, that gives me something to think about for both my calf/horse operation and my stocker operation, if it ever gets off the ground.
I broke a water valve on freezing night so the water ran all night. My monthly water bill jumped from $22 to $78 that month.
Thanks again

SL

I am curious about something. Right now we only have a few horses but have been thinking about buying some cattle. We have two ponds on our property. One is a good ways from where the cattle would be and one is near. The one that is near is basically a dirt pit but does hold water year around. The water is sometimes muddy and sometimes a little more clear.

If I was to pump water from this pond to a water tank or straight to one of those nose pumps......would this water neat some type of filtration? Is there a way to clean the water or is this a valid concern?

Re:
would this water neat some type of filtration?
IMO, absolutely not.
But if you have been erroneously lead to believe it is necessary, the cheapest and easiest way to do it is, use a swimming pool filter, the are cheap, easy to clean by simple turning a valve and back flushing it! That's my redneck solution.
SL

Sir Loin":1e8rixux said:
Re:
would this water neat some type of filtration?
IMO, absolutely not.
But if you have been erroneously lead to believe it is necessary, the cheapest and easiest way to do it is, use a swimming pool filter, the are cheap, easy to clean by simple turning a valve and back flushing it! That's my redneck solution.
SL

I wasnt lead to believe that....was just wondering. Simply didnt know. For our horses we have water troughs but when we get cattle we will need more than that so this thread caught my interest.

Latest posts