Livestock treatment debated at US Supreme Court

Help Support CattleToday:

NiceFarmer31

Reaction score
A state law mandating "humane treatment" of downed livestock headed for the slaughterhouse was viewed with a good measure of concern by the Supreme Court on Wednesday.

At issue is whether federal regulations dealing with inspection of domesticated animals about to be killed, processed and sold for human consumption preempt -- or nullify -- California Penal Code 599f.

Several justices noted the good intentions behind the state action, but a majority of the bench expressed concern that it may have gone too far into the traditional federal arena.

http://agrinewspk.blogspot.com/2011/11/livestock-treatment-debated-at-supreme.html

That last paragraph is enough to knock your hat into the creek. That's about the first time this administration has even acknowledged the existance of ordinary working people, much less agreed with them.

Could be some kind of a trick........

NiceFarmer31":eycwft5v said:
A state law mandating "humane treatment" of downed livestock headed for the slaughterhouse was viewed with a good measure of concern by the Supreme Court on Wednesday.

At issue is whether federal regulations dealing with inspection of domesticated animals about to be killed, processed and sold for human consumption preempt -- or nullify -- California Penal Code 599f.

Several justices noted the good intentions behind the state action, but a majority of the bench expressed concern that it may have gone too far into the traditional federal arena.

http://agrinewspk.blogspot.com/2011/11/livestock-treatment-debated-at-supreme.html
In other words you have to treat them like "humans"?? Why???

Those dairy cows being shoved with a fork lift a couple of years ago got my goat. It looked to me like you could have fed them two tubes of CMPK and got 'em up. Maybe they tried. I dunno. No animal deserves that. I don't pet cows. No animal deserves to be treated the way those cows were being handled.

I aint a tree hugger. I never have an issue with putting an animal down that needs to be put down. Some folks don't know how to treat people or animals. These laws they make up lump me right in with those idiots.

Yes those cows were definitely being abused but 90% or better chance they had been down for several days before they were hauled to the packer and pulled off the trailer with a winch or a bobcat as they were already pretty thin. Don't know if it was milk fever or not but most had probably already had a gallon of cmpk put in IV and still couldn't get up.

Texas .. I have to agree with you about the owners being at least partially responsible. I know ranchers that will wait until they are nearly dead before they try to ship them. Shame on them too.

Latest posts