Livestock insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Who writes policies and What are the rates ?
Up to 200 hd.
What are then ins and outs of
A policy i should be looking out for?
Good companies/bad companies.
Thanks

We have "blanket coverage" on our herd with our Farm & Ranch Policy. Each animal is thus insured for a token amount...probably about what one could get at the local Sale Barn for the animal, if that much. If one wants to "schedule" any given animal, it usually costs around 5 to 6% of the insured amount for a given animal for the annual premium.

Your F&R Agent would probably "farm out" the coverage to one or more of their underwriters/companys with any given company who handles livestock insurance. Check with your agent and go from there.

Sometimes, there are advs in the livestock journals by insurance agents who handle or specialize in livestock insurance.

Hope this helps!

Thanks bill. I'll look into it. I know my current policy doesn't cover. I need one that will cover animals on leased properties.

Workinonit Farm":272htnl2 said:
Farm Bureau has various choices for policies of that type. maybe you have a Farm Bureau off ice in your county?

Katherine
I have farm bureau . I have liability on my farm and animals . Covers me if someone hits them on the road . But not the animal its self . It was 300 a year extra on my home owners and covers 700 acres and up to 150 head . I didn't even ask about mortality ins . I figured I couldn't afford it . :tiphat:

JSCATTLE":1tf23bff said:
Workinonit Farm":1tf23bff said:
Farm Bureau has various choices for policies of that type. maybe you have a Farm Bureau off ice in your county?

Katherine
I have farm bureau . I have liability on my farm and animals . Covers me if someone hits them on the road . But not the animal its self . It was 300 a year extra on my home owners and covers 700 acres and up to 150 head . I didn't even ask about mortality ins . I figured I couldn't afford it . :tiphat:

I use the same company and coverage. Have the equipment scheduled per piece value.

fitz

Farm Bureau here charges me $10.40 per $1,000.00. We have everything covered but sickness. Make sure your both coverd when you transport them back and forth. Don't know how good my insurance is...and I hope I don't have to ever find out.

I consider liability insurance on livestock a necessity. By the time you insure your: home, healh, life, farm equipment, livestock, dental, and professional liability it really adds up at the end of the year. If you ever have a large claim. You will be glad you have it. I lost everything but my pride to a tornado once. It took almost two years to settle the claim, and I was insured with a great company.

Found insurance to be great until I had a claim. I guess peace of mind is worth a lot. Insurance co's are way ahead of me and I not complaining, especially with my life policies.

lynnmcmahan":2tc3n0f2 said:
Found insurance to be great until I had a claim.

In the last 12 years we've had to make 2 claims with our insurer (Farm Bureau). We had absolutely no problem at all. Perhaps it was what the claim was about but no problems. One was for damage resulting from a 'microburst' and the other was related to lightning. The adjuster/inspector was here w/in a day or 2 and a check arrived w/in a week or 2....for both claims.

Katherine

Given Hook's recent loss, I got to wondering... Do you guys typically insure just your prized herd bull for mortality or do you include your cows as well? The more info the better on this one. Thanks in advance!

Hartford is going to cover us for 250/yr. 500 deductible. All animals including calves. We chose the animal value. Up to 100 hd
I'm really kicking myself for not following thru on this.

hooknline":uwjtvy55 said:
Hartford is going to cover us for 250/yr. 500 deductible. All animals including calves. We chose the animal value. Up to 100 hd
I'm really kicking myself for not following thru on this.

Did you elect for named peril coverage only or a full mortality policy?

Hartford, Markel, and Great American I believe write a lot of stand alone livestock coverage. The liability side is perhaps the most important with todays sue happy society.

Mortality, Named perils. That's pretty broad coverage. General liability covers the rest

Go with farm burea! I turned in a claim this summer for a burned up baler/tractor and they treated me very reasonable on the claim. Just remember that just because you insure it for $20k doesn't mean you'll get $20k when all the dust settles. I cover everything on my farm through them and after that deal I prob will never change policies.