Livestock insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
I need some help. I've heard people on here talk about livestock insurance and I really ewant to find out some info about it. We've leased a place that is not the most suitable but we need more land and the pickins are slim. I would like to insure those cattle but our farm insurance company -Germania- doesn't do that type of ins. For those who have it, what company do you use and is it worth it? Thanks!

State Farm has a rider where the number of head and value determine the cost.

I use Alfa and I think its worth it. Seems like its about 5 bucks per head per year. I insure all my bulls and about a quarter of my heard.

I have cattle on different properties so I felt like it would be hard for all my cattle to get killed at the same time . Therfore, I didnt insure every one of the cattle.

denoginnizer":h2v7dk1s said:
I use Alfa and I think its worth it. Seems like its about 5 bucks per head per year. I insure all my bulls and about a quarter of my heard.

I have cattle on different properties so I felt like it would be hard for all my cattle to get killed at the same time . Therfore, I didnt insure every one of the cattle.

so do you identify the ones that are insured--also do you lose many to lightening where you are

Carlos D.":28lcldgh said:
denoginnizer":28lcldgh said:

so do you identify the ones that are insured--also do you lose many to lightening where you are

No I dont identify the ones that are insured , except for my bulls. I have not lost any to lightining but many people around me claim that they do.

Sidney

There is an endorsement (rider)for the Texas Farm & Ranch owners (FRO) policy that covers scheduled (listed)farm & ranch property which can include livestock. The endorsement is FRO-459. Ask for it by that name. Would think Germania should offer it. It only covers losses due to fire, lightning, windstorm, hurricane, hail, explosion, aircraft, vehicles and weight of ice, sleet & snow. It DOES NOT cover theft!

If you need theft coverage, check out this link:

http://www.agribizexpress.com/

This is for The Hartford livestock insurance. They have several different policies to cover most livestock insurance needs. Also note!! Mysterious disappearance is usually not considered theft unless there is evidence of a forcible taking. Example- cut fence or locks, tire tracks, etc.

Latest posts