Livestock Drought assistance

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I would post up a website for anyone who is interested.

If you go to this link:

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area ... ic=landing

You can look up "Livestock Assistance Grant Program", which will tell you an overview of the benefits.

If you pull up the the list of eligible states and counties you can see if yours is on there.

I believe Congress has approved a very large sum of monies to be distributed. Looks like the FSA will oversee the distribution.

I know there are many who don't want handouts, and that's fine. If you were affected by the drought this year, however, and want to apply please do. I'm not sure what happens to the funds not used, but I'd rather see farmers with them.

Want to hear the real kick in the pants for Texas??

Only beef and sheep herds are eligible.

Yup. Read it in Country World yesterday. Dairy, goat, and horses were left out. Appearenly the US grant was based on the number of beef and sheep in each state. States could give that money out to other types of livestock. TDA said since that is what the grant was based on, that's all that is eligible.

Oh yeah, the federal government really supports all of farming, don't they? Billions and billions for New Orleans, millions for the rest of the areas hit by Katrina and Rita, and threats of vetos for drought assistance to farms and ranches for the worst drought in history. It doesn't make sense.

But, being the character of people we are, we will find a way to survive.

we milked cows for 27yrs.an we always got drought help from FSA.an in all those years the cow/calf man got very little help from them.so this is fair to the beef man.i hear the maxium is $10,000 pre cattleman.you guys do know the deadline to have the papers sent in is nov 13th.

bigbull338":1l2p13hp said:
we milked cows for 27yrs.an we always got drought help from FSA.an in all those years the cow/calf man got very little help from them.so this is fair to the beef man.i hear the maxium is $10,000 pre cattleman.you guys do know the deadline to have the papers sent in is nov 13th.

I called the local FSA office today and the nice woman there said that they haven't even received the applications yet. Apparently Congress has just appropriated more monies, and it's on hold. She told me to call back in one month. I will call back in the beginning of November.

Interesting side note: She told me that just because your county or parish was designated doesn't mean that your county will receive the funds. There are several hurdles that have to be jumped through.

The program varies from state to state. In Texas, you pick up the forms at the FSA or Extension office, but the Texas Department of Agriculture is administering the program. Fill out the form and mail it to them. After all are in, they will determine how much per head every one will get.

This is part of the $780+ million that Congress came up with. A lot of it was already in place for row crops in the form of loan deficiency payments that were made early.

Interesting list. Flagler County in Fl has the highest drought index in the state and has had it all year. Something like 12-15 deficit and it's not on the list. Politics?

Yes.. in Texas keep in mind the USDA is not administering the program this year.. TDA is. Our USDA isn't even giving out the forms, I'm sure because every idiot will be bringing them back to USDA and wanting to know where their $$ is. The easiest way is to download from TDA's site (there is a "tab" that takes you directly to the forms) fill it out, and mail or fax back to them.

The $$ will be appropriated when all the applications are in. Who knows how it will be distributed.

The drought assistance program is different than it has ever been before. This time, the USDA is telling each state how much money they will be allotted and then each state will write up it's own rules and administer the program however they want to. There will be no consistency from state to state. In Missouri, you can pick a form at the county office, or download it from the Missouri Dept of Agriculture website. It is one page and asks how many adult cows, horses, etc you had between March 7 and Aug 31. It also asks you to affirm that you had drought loss of crops (pasture, hay, etc). You sign it and mail it back to them. Missouri is allotted 2.7 million dollars and has 30 of the 114 counties eligible. The forms have to be postmarked by Nov 17 and they expect to mail checks in late December. They will take the total number of claimed animals and divide that number into 2.7 million dollars. For example, if 1 million cows are claimed, there will be a payout of $2.70 per cow. So, it will be on a per cow basis and the amount will depend on how many cows are claimed on the applications.

TheBullLady":133bn6p7 said:
Yes.. in Texas keep in mind the USDA is not administering the program this year.. TDA is. Our USDA isn't even giving out the forms, I'm sure because every idiot will be bringing them back to USDA and wanting to know where their $$ is. The easiest way is to download from TDA's site (there is a "tab" that takes you directly to the forms) fill it out, and mail or fax back to them.

The $$ will be appropriated when all the applications are in. Who knows how it will be distributed.

I just pulled the website up and printed the forms. There's 16 pages of stuff. Doesn't look to difficult. Texas has a tad over $16 Million to distribute. For beef cattle 2 years old or older and sheep (no goats??) one year old or older. The applications have to be in before November 13 or they will be tossed. One note to the contrary from above, they will not accept faxed or electronically transmitted applications.

JD

TheBullLady":2u40qwht said:
JD.. they accepted a faxed one from me. But definately go by the directions.

Ain't that just like the govment, say one thing an do something else. :eek:

We're going to send it in, probably regular mail an hope it gets there in time. Registered mail would be like waving a red flag at'em. :lol:

Thanks,

JD