livestock = deadstock

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I'm shooting 50% on calving so far this season. One "dumb calf" that wouldn't suck. Now a set of twins - bull was never able to walk, though he tried gallantly. The heifer is still alive and up, but I'm tubing. Not sure how much longer I'll do that since she's probably sterile.

Anyhow, I keep reminding myself of something I've heard on this board that bears repeating . . . "if you're in the livestock business, you're also in the deadstock business" . . . I wish I could remember who said it that way . . . Caustic Bruno or Redbullbreeder I think.

How true, how true.

Real bummer to get started like that. But, I always expect the worse at the beginning of calving. That's usually when the "early" set of twins that are twisted up & backwards come. Hang in there, generally, it gets better.
Do you give your calves Selenium? That's usually the #1 reason for a dumb sucker.

I think CB has said it that way. Only people that doesn't lose stock is the people who don't have stock. You of to a bad start Angus 9259 but when you are on the bottom you can only go up. I have had years like you are having and any one else that is in the cattle game will have them. If it was easy everbody could do it.

I had better find some wood to knock on before I say this - so far I am at 100% !!!

My '09 calving crop actually started in mid December. I know its coming tho. It has never been this good. Two cows that have lost calves in the past made it.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ckmloak said:
Do you give your calves Selenium? That's usually the #1 reason for a dumb sucker.

Yeah, they all get a shot of bo-se at birth.

The first mention I've found about "livestock/deadstock" was posted by CattleAnnie in April of 04

cows an calves just up an die for reasons we dont know.been there done that.an its no fun going through that.

Caustic Burno":aao42unu said:
I have always said if you ain't got them you can't lose them.
Cows and calfs can be very inventive in finding ways to die.

They've got nothing on sheep, they will decide to die if it is cloudy out.
:)

I used to calve during the first time of the year, went to April and May, got tired of dead calves, mud and working on slow calves. Finally decided that the advantages of calving on green grass with 70 degree temperatures and rarely having any trouble at all far outweighed any increase in weaning weights from having them early. Also, the cows can winter cheaper, only have to feed them good after Feb. 1st. They are still out on stalks right now.

" some calves are born looking for ways to die, and if they can't find any, they invent new ways." I don't remember who said this but it wasn't very long ago.

Last year we lost one still born(sold it's mama)one just died(sold it's mama),first time heifer. She got caught in the feed trough. I'm raising her calf. Lost a 700 lb heifer found her dead. A cow went down in dec.. But she is no longer with us. That's it for last year.I hate losing anything,but sometimes it is just going to happen.
I finally got it thru my hard head. You can't save everyone of them no matter what you do.

Caustic Burno":1gpezc3p said:

Just laughed out loud. Thanks for that!

As updated on another post, the dam of one of the calves that died turned out to be BVD PI. Can that have an effect?

angus9259":1diejrew said:
As updated on another post, the dam of one of the calves that died turned out to be BVD PI. Can that have an effect?

It sure can. That means the calf was also invected but since it happened before it was born it's body doesn;t know it's something that it should fight.

Caustic Burno":239o0okp said:

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Last Feb lost the #1 nurse cow, got cast and died and left me with her 3 wk old heifer to raise. A month ago lost #2 nurse cow, she slid in a slick spot broke a hind leg had to put a bullet into her. At least her heifer was old enough to be weaned.

It usually seems to be the ones we'd really rather not lose.

Sorry for your bad start there angus9259.

Katherine

Angus 9259,

Keep your head up! We all have it happen. I lost three calves in a row a few years back, and was questioning every thing I do. It happens, and sometimes you can do nothing to stop nature. I have to admit, there were some pretty nice members who pm'd me to help me get my head straight.

Things will get better! That's my motto, even if it aint true, at least I can feel good about it.

Latest posts