Livestock Compensation program in drought areas

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjohn

Reaction score
so has anyone signed up for this new program yet? What's it supposed to pay?
I want to see if its worth it to dig up all of my old records and schedule an appointment with the FSA office

I think it pays about 8 dollars for weaned calves over 500pds and around 10 for adult cows/bulls here in alabama. If you got some hay relief money they subtract that from your gift.

I know a few who took it. Some got more than others. It is all about how you fill in the blanks. The last program I knew about was something like $3 a cow. This new one is something like $140 an acre, based on hearsay, if you fill out the paper correctly. There are some minimum requirements which have already been met in the "damage control" on my place.

It doesn't seem right for me to sign up on a personal level. But I would encourage all full time farmers who went through the record drought of '05 to sign up.

I signed up for it last year in Oklahoma. They had something like 6-8 Million dollars for the program. The way it worked was, it was divided by the total number of cattle turned in across the state. I think it came to about four dollars a head.Nobody got enough out of it to do them any good. As far as i was concerned the govt just wasted 6-8 million dollars. What else is new? Surely that money could have been put to better use.

That was what I signed up for last year. I just signed up and mailed the papers - no supporting data required.
With this new one, you must go in the office. I was figuring that it was worth more money

cowsrus":15q7cfgz said:
I signed up for it last year in Oklahoma. They had something like 6-8 Million dollars for the program. The way it worked was, it was divided by the total number of cattle turned in across the state. I think it came to about four dollars a head.Nobody got enough out of it to do them any good. As far as i was concerned the govt just wasted 6-8 million dollars. What else is new? Surely that money could have been put to better use.

Last ime I checked 4 bucks a head was still more then zero