liver flukes

Help Support CattleToday:

Ivomec Plus has not been available in our area for some time. Valbazon drench is my wormer of choice for this parasite. Worm after the first freeze. It can affect fertility in bulls, so do not drench before turn out. Flukes are very common in my area. In spite of a conscientious effort to control them, you will see some liver damage in most animals at necropsy. Fortunately it takes time and more than slight liver damage to cause serious problems. Most cows will live to an old age with some damage.

READ THE LABEL, Ivomec Plus is only effective against adult fluke. Most of the damage is done by immature fluke burrowing into the liver.

Ken

wbvs58":2v5r62vy said:
READ THE LABEL, Ivomec Plus is only effective against adult fluke. Most of the damage is done by immature fluke burrowing into the liver.

Ken
That is true for Valbazon also I believe. That is why I said to worm after it freezes, which is not possible in some locations. A freeze should take care of immature flukes, so cattle are no longer ingesting them. Worming will kill the adults, and prevent pastures being re infested. Unfortunately I was told that nothing gets them all. It takes a fair amount of liver damage to kill a cow, so most healthy cows will survive in spite of fluke liver damage.

I had some animals I brought in from upstate NY that we found liver flukes in when we slaughtered. Ivomec plus injectable will treat animals if there is a concern.