liveing in her car

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
Was just talking to a lady-- she's in her late 50s,slight health problems--she's haveing to live in her car with the dog--can't find work that will pay enough to rent a place to live.. has been "couch serfing" for a couple of years,sense the RV she was liveing in developed wireing problems bad enough it'd have to be compleatly rewired..
I don't have room,or would lend her my couch..may still do that,depending on how things go..I tell you,things are getting bad.
Don't know what to do,but think I should do something..

That's terrible :frowns: I was reading a similar story today about a 9 year old girl and her parents who got their home foreclosed on and are now living between homeless shelters...she was having a hard time understanding why they just couldn't go home and why she had to leave her favorite toys behind. It makes you feel very fortunate to have what you do. I just wish I could do more to help other people but I can barely get by on my own. Hope things turn around for the lady and her dog.

Its a shame when you see someone who truly tries to be down on their luck. Its hard to pull out of a situation like that when there is not a helping hand. Unfortunately for those who are truly deserving there are just so many people who have super glue on their hands and won't let go when they are given a hand. Its a shame. My wife and I were helping a man who thankfully had VA benefits. He had some asthma problems. Gov't would send him cases of medicine each month when he only needed a couple of containers. We tried to get this stopped cause we knew someone else could use the meds. No one would listen or do anything about it. When the cases kept arriving we decided we'd talk to a doctor and try and give the meds to someone who had the same type problem cause the meds were expensive. Unfortunately we learned that this is a federal crime and we could not do this. To a small extent, we did it anyway but the rest we had to burn. Which is also a crime. I guess we are just rogue criminals my wife and I.

Peg.. that is a shame.. doesn't she have any family or friends? I'm not as sympathetic as you I guess.. I would be suspicious. Just be careful if you let her stay with you! I can tell you horror stories on the flip side of that coin! And what's to say if you let her live on your couch "temporarily", that she won't just stay forever and deplete all of your resources as well? There are still good shelters, etc. for folks, and places they can get help. Even though you are trying to help, please be careful!

TheBullLady":233ihog3 said:
Peg.. that is a shame.. doesn't she have any family or friends? I'm not as sympathetic as you I guess.. I would be suspicious. Just be careful if you let her stay with you! I can tell you horror stories on the flip side of that coin! And what's to say if you let her live on your couch "temporarily", that she won't just stay forever and deplete all of your resources as well? There are still good shelters, etc. for folks, and places they can get help. Even though you are trying to help, please be careful!

Well said BullLady. My thoughts too.

Yeah,I know about the flipside- :frowns: -gave her a few suggestions as to who to see..She's divorced, has kids,can't agree to their "lifestyle". as usual more to the story...I'm not a real pushover- I can be mean,I suppose.
Anyhow,will help her with suggestions,find agencys for her,and will tell her to get on disability--many are whos need is less

things are toough all over.an as time goes by it keeps getting worse.people are in a tough spot.an it can be dangerious to try to help them.we all should be thankful that we have a roof over our heads food in our belly an clothes on our backs.

TheBullLady":10q0jxec said:

This is true and my best example of this would be "Ronnie", who was a homeless bum that camped out with my FIL for years. Of course, my FIL has always has to have someone around the house to be his "sidekick". He has a new one now. He was nosing around our place yesterday. I don't trust him AT ALL. Glad they live in Oklahoma. Hope he can't remember how to get back to our place.

15 or 20 years ago someone said in a speech, "Where you are in life is where you put yourself." That sunk in pretty hard.

Every one of these people have a story. I recently heard one from a guy whose truck was "back over by an excavator..." Did he have insurance? Was the equipment operator liable? The whole story just didn't add up.

backhoeboogie":yqorz7e0 said:
"Where you are in life is where you put yourself." That sunk in pretty hard.

I think 95% of the time this is correct. But I try to give everyone a full deck to begin with and find out as many facts as I can before I help anyone. It takes a little time but its not that hard to do.

Backhoe, for year's I kept a little poster on my fridge that said, "Make your own reality". I read it every morning and I eventually did.

peg4x4":nm9pvx1c said:
Was just talking to a lady-- she's in her late 50s,slight health problems--she's haveing to live in her car with the dog--can't find work that will pay enough to rent a place to live.. has been "couch serfing" for a couple of years,sense the RV she was liveing in developed wireing problems bad enough it'd have to be compleatly rewired..
I don't have room,or would lend her my couch..may still do that,depending on how things go..I tell you,things are getting bad.
Don't know what to do,but think I should do something..

If you look closely, homeless people are everywhere. It is very easy to sway to one side of a situation without knowing the entire set of circumstances.

She could try to get services from her local housing authority, churches, salvation army... There are a lot of services out there that can help with emergency housing. It reminds me of people who ask for money for food but when you try to just take them to a grocery store they don't want it.

Lammie":b6dhbphf said:
She could try to get services from her local housing authority, churches, salvation army... There are a lot of services out there that can help with emergency housing. It reminds me of people who ask for money for food but when you try to just take them to a grocery store they don't want it.

Reminds me of a fella that sat on the side of I-75 with his dog an a sign that said he would work for food. He would sit there all day with is dog and sit in the bar at the Holiday Inn till closing. Some people know how to work the system and work your heart strings. Always best to do your homework. If they are truly deserving, I'll help them anyway I can but I'm not going to give them a snake when they ask for bread.

She seems to be falling thro all the cracks--too old-not old enough-too disabled-not disabled enough---tipical buracratic runaround.
Think she'll contact houseing,they can show her a few "doors"she might not have thought of..

Mother and I were cruising through one of the "NEW" subdivisions Sunday. Stopped by a well cared for house where there were red letters taped to all the ground level windows and the door. The letter said~:

"This house has been foreclosed, you are ordered to vacate, take your belongings and get out or you may accidentally be locked out......"

These are NOT happy days for many.

talldog":zfciw07u said:
I'm counting my Blessings---Not my Heartaches !! But by the grace of God, it could be us !!! :tiphat:

You are so right. Its not but a few inches difference between the seat in a limo and the seat on the curb.

Might have been me,except for Gov houseing---I wouldn't be able to stand liveing with my son :lol2: actually,would have been all right,but for the cancers...

Latest posts