live trap help

Help Support CattleToday:

SJB

Reaction score
i need to be able to trap pests (coons, groundhogs, etc) out near my garden. after being caught, i plan to train them not to eat from my garden.

anything helpful i need to know before i buy a trap or three?

I use
WOT_1081.jpg

https://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/view/p ... /si6659618

I use the same trap as HD, cat food works well for coons I found and feral cats. If I catch them in a trap I train them by hauling them 6 to 10 miles up into the woods and release them. If I see them around my chickens or cats I train them with a .22 mag or 30/30. Either way quick learners

My dad always snapped a rope on the traps handle and set it in the water for a few minutes. But that was in town at his restaurant so shooting them was out of the question.

SJB":gh7fc4dl said:
i need to be able to trap pests (coons, groundhogs, etc) out near my garden. after being caught, i plan to train them not to eat from my garden.

anything helpful i need to know before i buy a trap or three?

I catch coons and train my coon hounds or give to others to train theres if no need they get lead poisoning... Groundhogs get instant lead poisoning and broiling pan.

same thing we use ,an like sky said let the bluetick havem for a toy ,

Rambo gets a little board out of season.then its lead poisoning !

You'll do good with sweets on the coons. A 2 dollar bag of mini powdered donuts goes a long way. They'll also like the sardines and such.

Possums like the nastiest crap you can put in there, catfish stink bait will catch possums pretty regular.

If you shoot a coon in the trap make sure he's dead and that you didn't just knock him out by hitting him in the bridge of the nose. Then dont go to dump him out only for him to wake up when the dog goes to gnawing on him. If you do that and he bear hugs the dog under the dogs neck there ain't really a good follow up shot to be had or much the dog can do with him at that point. Or so I've been told.

I used some old grape jelly and pnutbutter in a little tin in the trap. Amazed at how well it caught coons.

Now if I could just find something that would attract dillers into a trap

Funny this thread comes up now, I was about to start this same thread!
Last night driving home right at the cattleguard by our gate there was a momma coon with 3 youngsters.. they just stood there and looked at me as I drove by about 5 feet away from them at 2 miles an hour.. little ones were sure cute, but I know how much trouble they can be.. friend of mine is picking up a trap for me in the morning.

We use the same type of trap for pack rats, works really good, we drown them in the water troughs... some years we catch about 50 of them.. we're at 2 so far this year in 4 days.. Bear is in the apple trees.. it's a constant battle against pests!

dun":283vwyni said:
Now if I could just find something that would attract dillers into a trap

dun, I know an old man that traps a bunch of dillers every yr. he builds a wooden box about the size of the trap shown here puts a guillotine door on each end and has a stick the run down into the box and when its bumped it triggers the doors. places them along walls , shrubs. he has caught as many as 13 in one night before