Live from Bright Raven - A Broadway

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Reporting live from Bright Raven Simmental Farm. 10 down, 5 to go. Just minutes ago, a flashy Broadway calf hit the ground under the watchful eye of The Raven. Plenty of CHROME. Which was what my consultant, the Great One, Miss Fire Sweep expected.

Bull. Probably 92 pounds.

23qyrud.jpg

For you Broadway watchers. He weighed 84 pounds. Gestation 280.

Here is my other Broadway. 281 day gestation. 93 pounds.
id976e.jpg

Kingfisher":6gj5gqvs said:
Are they allways that loose that young that their rear hooves will lay back like that??

He just hit the ground. I had just pulled him out of the puddle of fluid he was born in. He has been up nursing this evening. Yes. They are like a wet dish towel.

I need names. I will use those. Thanks.

Bright Raven":168qzvc8 said:
Reporting live from Bright Raven Simmental Farm. 10 down, 5 to go. Just minutes ago, a flashy Broadway calf hit the ground under the watchful eye of The Raven. Plenty of CHROME. Which was what my consultant, the Great One, Miss Fire Sweep expected.

Bull. Probably 92 pounds.

23qyrud.jpg
Nice calf. I always feel like a kid at xmas when I find one calving.

Workinonit Farm":3s0mlvte said:
He's a pretty little calf! I'm very curious to see how he grows out.

Is he bull potential, due to his breeding?

Yes. The amount of Chrome may not appeal to everyone. His Dam is a Flying B Cut Above. Great cow. At 84 pounds, good weight. He should do well. I will keep you posted with pictures. Thank YOU.

True Grit Farms":2uqw9563 said:
Pretty soon you won't be able to tell the difference between a Simmental and Holstein.
your going to get a fight started.

True Grit Farms":3uc7dbhi said:
Pretty soon you won't be able to tell the difference between a Simmental and Holstein.

Naw. You worry too much. Go with the flow. Enjoy the chrome.

Bright Raven":1i6hynp5 said:
True Grit Farms":1i6hynp5 said:

Naw. You worry too much. Go with the flow. Enjoy the chrome.

Maybe that statement, Go with the flow, Enjoy the chrome, can catch on and start a trend, I would get on that bandwagon.
A little chrome breaks up the monotony.

Son of Butch":27y7chtt said:
True Grit Farms":27y7chtt said:
Pretty soon you won't be able to tell the difference between a Simmental and Holstein
:lol2:
Nice needle, but far from true.

For sure. I like bazed and brockle faced cattle, makes a good crossbred commercial cow. I used a blazed faced Onward Simmental bull 12 years ago on my Angus for that exact reason, have also used some old Hereford bloodlines for the same reasons. We're talking commercial cows not registered breeding stock. People purposely breeding cattle for all that chrome are clowns and the calves belong in the circus as freaks instead of breeding stock.

True Grit Farms":3uxddhxd said:
Son of Butch":3uxddhxd said:
True Grit Farms":3uxddhxd said:
Pretty soon you won't be able to tell the difference between a Simmental and Holstein

For sure. I like bazed and brockle faced cattle, makes a good crossbred commercial cow. I used a blazed faced Onward Simmental bull 12 years ago on my Angus for that exact reason, have also used some old Hereford bloodlines for the same reasons. We're talking commercial cows not registered breeding stock. People purposely breeding cattle for all that chrome are clowns and the calves belong in the circus as freaks instead of breeding stock.
This coming from a guy who thinks he's Charles Bronson.

BFE":1uo2v6l0 said:
True Grit Farms":1uo2v6l0 said:
Son of Butch":1uo2v6l0 said:

This coming from a guy who thinks he's Charles Bronson.

Some days he is Charles Bronson. Some days, he is Dirty Harry and hates everybody. But on normal days, he is just a paranoid, cowboy. I like him better as Charles Bronson.

Bright Raven":ia9w0zzp said:
Workinonit Farm":ia9w0zzp said:

Yes. The amount of Chrome may not appeal to everyone. His Dam is a Flying B Cut Above. Great cow. At 84 pounds, good weight. He should do well. I will keep you posted with pictures. Thank YOU.

I like the chromed up calves :) He looks like a nice healthy calf!

Nice calves Raven! Please keep the pics coming. Makes me kind of jealous - all of mine are jet black with one in every 25 or so being brown. The brown sheds out to black anyway. Makes me want to go get a red angus or something to break up the monotony.

Also, where would a bull like these go in a commercial setting? Most likely on Angus cows. With that mating, most if not all of the chrome would be knocked off by the Angus. Therefore, no problem going commercial with these boys.

holm25":1v9b3z07 said:
Bright Raven":1v9b3z07 said:
Workinonit Farm":1v9b3z07 said:

I like the chromed up calves :) He looks like a nice healthy calf!

b7xkk6.jpg

Latest posts