Little experiment

Help Support CattleToday:

Any reason he couldn't keep them 3 to 4 months instead of 6 weeks? I'm sure I ain't gonna come up with anything you haven't thought of, but I run 200 to 400 steers at a time myself, and I was just thinking that extra profit for getting them a little bigger could help his feed cost's.

He could keep them that long. I think he likes the excitement of the buying and the selling. The 5 or 6 he puts together before school starts will probably be kep till fall break, so he can go to the sale. His mother is overly strict on school attendance. I missed a dozen days a year, and I can read and write with the best of em.

Heck by 8 he has probably learned all he needs to know, he will learn more useful things for life buying,feeding and selling cattle. He is probably already making more than any other 8 year old at school! He probably has those same feelings I do about the shcool thing huh.

denvermartinfarms":1s57hzy4 said:
Heck by 8 he has probably learned all he needs to know, he will learn more useful things for life buying,feeding and selling cattle. He is probably already making more than any other 8 year old at school! He probably has those same feelings I do about the shcool thing huh.
Plus he is doing more than some adults do.

tom4018":3pw0z7dl said:
denvermartinfarms":3pw0z7dl said:
Plus he is doing more than some adults do.
I would say he is doing more than most adults, not just some.

He just finished another bunch Thursday. $77 a piece. I think if he had been buying all the inputs, there would have been very little made on that group. He traded his grandfather one steer from the group for a "keeper" heifer. Even with the swap, and returning it to the herd, his big chief tablet is still in the black for the year.

When is he going to buy some more? I think I might wait a month or so, but your area may make that idea different that what I see here.

I think I am going to hold him off till after thanksgiving, and see. I've been putting together a group of heifers to breed. That kinda has his intrest right now. I am going to keep mine for cows. He rode to a bred heifer sale with my brother. He's been talking a lot since then about putting together a group. I'm getting real scared he is fixing to ask me some questions about the birds and the bees.

He turned another group of three over today. He bought them fall break the second week October. We had a snow day today, so it was a good day for him to sell. He enjoys watching them go through ring etc. They gained 295 pounds average in 105 days. For adg of 2.81 pounds. I'll be glad to see what they bring per pound.

Bigfoot":3iaw8lj3 said:
He turned another group of three over today. He bought them fall break the second week October. We had a snow day today, so it was a good day for him to sell. He enjoys watching them go through ring etc. They gained 295 pounds average in 105 days. For adg of 2.81 pounds. I'll be glad to see what they bring per pound.

Dang Bf thats good
When y'all start taking in interns I'd be interested in learning :D

Bigfoot":398klv3p said:
That was a good gain. Which yard did he buy them?
Guthrie had a good sale last week, we sold a trailer load last week. According to the market report they were down a little today. Hope he did good?

191.5 cwt--------Bought and sold at Guthrie. Pen 77. 570 pound average.

I don't know how that compares to last week. My dad prints the report every week, I'll have to ask.

Bigfoot":1bi718uu said:
191.5 cwt--------Bought and sold at Guthrie. Pen 77. 570 pound average.

I don't know how that compares to last week. My dad prints the report every week, I'll have to ask.

They did $1.94 last week, had some in that pen. Not sure what the pen average last week, but mine were 563 average.

He cleared $1500 on 3 head. He worked his hay off with me, and his grand father gave him 2 tons of feed for getting all A's on his first 9 weeks. I think we need to tone it down a little. He's going to get the wrong impression about farming.

Bigfoot":2uvh0qn5 said:
He cleared $1500 on 3 head. He worked his hay off with me, and his grand father gave him 2 tons of feed for getting all A's on his first 9 weeks. I think we need to tone it down a little. He's going to get the wrong impression about farming.
Yea, he is going to think you can get rich. Probably need to set down and show him the true math. Four of the ones we sold a buddy bought at Guthrie for me as 250# and we average $213 a head profit on them.

He did good, hope he keeps his interest as he gets older.

Latest posts