Little bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
This cow is out of a chi-angus mother and an angus bull (son of total recall)

This little bull calf is out of my registered Hereford bull and said cow.20210903_182121.jpg20210903_182100.jpg20210903_182039.jpg
20210903_182018.jpg
I havnt thought much about him, but @Jeanne - Simme Valley asked about him in another thread so I thought I would post a couple pics and generate some thoughts.
Not the best pics I know! He was constantly trying to nurse. Lol

He looks very straight topped to me. Growing nicely. Equipment seems appropriate for age. Good beefy rump. Plenty of guts I think.
Born May 3rd.

Last edited:
Can't speak on potential herd sire factor because I'm still learning what all to look for myself but I'd sure be proud to show him off! I think he's a nice looking calf for sure guess maybe a little time would tell!

My guess he would bring top dollar at the sale as a steer. Idk about herdsire 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ either but might be a good one to put him on something w plenty of brahman. But again im partial to tad bit of ear.

It is very important to use full-blooded bulls. With mix bulls there is too many differences in phenotype. In other words you never know what they are going to throw. I wouldn't even use a crossbred bull for clean up.

A bull is the most important animal in you herd. 50 percent of your herds genetics come from your bull.

This guy looks like he would fill a freezer nicely if grown to potential.

He's a nice calf, but that's it, IMO. How would you know what you are going to get with that much of a cross in a bull? I'm of the notion use a full-blood for a bull.

I remember so well when we were using Limousin bulls and I went to a sale with a Limousin breeder. I saw a bull there that I really liked. He was a half blood. I remarked to the breeder I was with about how nice that bull was. She said, "that's what you want to get, not what you want to buy. Go with a full blood and you can trust you will get a calf that looks like the one you see here." I never forgot that.

Why is it that suddenly people on here want to keep everything born with nuts as a bull? The reality is that reputational purebred breeders with years of experience cut 75% of the bull calves born. The object is to constantly improve.
Totally agree.......I have 9 bull calves to consider from April calving.........I will band all but 2.........will give them all another 6-8 weeks and check the numbers along with their appearance.

Murray - if I asked about him "as a bull potential" - you must have had a much better picture. This calf is too feminine for bull quality - and, as others said, a bull for breeding should be a purebred, not a mutt. I realize your herd is made up of mutts - which can be fine for a cow, but with mutt cows it is even more important for you to use a purebred sire.
I am a purebred breeder and I castrate most all my males at birth. Then will castrate a few more after they start developing.

Sold a neighbor one of my best purebred black angus bull calves at weaning . I'm not registering my calves anymore . He has about 10 cows , all black but most with some milk stock in them . Think he got 7 bulls/ steers and 3 heifers which he kept 1 for a replacement. He recently sold the calves and said he did the best he had ever done at the sale . He said the best calves he ever raised . My point , he had been using home raised , crossed up bulls ; either ones he raised or from a neighbor. First purebred bull he had ever used . The influence that a purebred bull will have on your calf crop is huge.

I've been thinking of tryiing to do the same..........sell recently weaned, pre-conditioned bulls......and let the buyer finish the bull development as he sees fit for his operation. How would you price those..??? And if one were to fail the BSE later..???

I have sold an 8-9 month bull calf or two. They come with no guarantees since the development is out of my control. Price reduction is cost of development feed. Don't like to though because I want the yearling weight data and scan data.

I've been thinking of tryiing to do the same..........sell recently weaned, pre-conditioned bulls......and let the buyer finish the bull development as he sees fit for his operation. How would you price those..??? And if one were to fail the BSE later..???
No guarantee on the calves about a future BSE. Too many variables after they leave. They may get starved or may get foundered. Price could be a premium amount per pound over market price for preconditioned calves. Amount of premium - whatever you can get, but probably not very much. Positive for buyer is that he might get a good bull calf for a good price. Negative is that he might get a weaned bull calf that needs to be castrated. There is a negative premium for that situation.

You know Murray I would tell most people to cut his nuts off yesterday. You seem to be the kind of person that just does not give two shits about conventional wisdom when it comes to cattle. So with that out of the way, I would use him on everything you got next year. It should be interesting.
O I dont need a bull.
I've got 2 pretty good ones....

My bull calves are sold at $1850 each - no guarantees. First come, first pick. Normally everything I sell is guaranteed, but as mentioned, the development of the calf highly determines his ability to be a good breeder. LOL - must be why people have started ordering before they are born - want first pick - which I give to first commitment.

My bull calves are sold at $1850 each - no guarantees. First come, first pick. Normally everything I sell is guaranteed, but as mentioned, the development of the calf highly determines his ability to be a good breeder. LOL - must be why people have started ordering before they are born - want first pick - which I give to first commitment.
I would want "your" first pick :cool:

Latest posts