Little bull calf (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

WichitaLineMan

Reaction score
Here is a little 3 week old bull calf. He wasn't on my favorite list at first but he is developing.

4560219973_c9be2b6842_b.jpg

4560838408_4c030de524_b.jpg

4560835862_468ac68417_b.jpg

His dam (this is her first calf)
4560840898_82141a5366_b.jpg

4560214099_ffc103aa5c_b.jpg

I've come to the conclusion if they're not showing some signs of muscle development by 3 weeks to a month old, it's not going to amount to much. looks like he's shaping up pretty good.

Here's another bull calf. Started on my like list but seems to be stagnating. For reference he is AI sired out of a Holden bull. The younger bull at the start of the thread is out of the pasture bull.

4619718910_17e4461876_b.jpg

Also for knersie and others, I took this picture the other day when I was WORMING the cattle and calves.

LOL.

Is his dam a first calver? I see potential in him, could it be that she just can't keep up with his demand for milk? He has quite heavy bone, especially for a L1 calf.

KNERSIE":1qds8k0g said:
Is his dam a first calver? I see potential in him, could it be that she just can't keep up with his demand for milk? He has quite heavy bone, especially for a L1 calf.

Glad you see a little good there. He narrowly escaped the knife the other day. He was listed to be cut but at the last second I "let him through".

Yes he is out of a first calf heifer. This is not a good pic at all of either of them.

Both the cows pictured are first calf heifers. One is rather milky the other is so-so. But they both have almost identical milk EPDS! Lol.

This calf is much older than the first calf.

I am going to try to get better pictures in the next week or so.

WichitaLineMan":16qsje2l said:
KNERSIE":16qsje2l said:

Glad you see a little good there. He narrowly escaped the knife the other day. He was listed to be cut but at the last second I "let him through".

I'd keep him and call him " Lookout !Coming Thru!"

WichitaLineMan":2amx2d7p said:
KNERSIE":2amx2d7p said:

Yes he is out of a first calf heifer. This is not a good pic at all of either of them.

Both the cows pictured are first calf heifers. One is rather milky the other is so-so. But they both have almost identical milk EPDS! Lol.

This calf is much older than the first calf.

I am going to try to get better pictures in the next week or so.

Hopefully when he weans lighter than his peer group then his mothers milk numbers should go down. That's the only way EPD's, REALLY work is if they are reflective of real world conditions.

Latest posts