litter boxes ??

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Does anyone use the self cleaning litter boxes ,do you like them and are they much easier to maintain as they say?

Box came yesterday and I have it all set up with the clumping litter, it is by their old box like they say and then they say to not clean the old box and when it gets dirty they will use the new one. The problem with this is that I am positive one of the little sh@theads doesn't use it at all even when it is clean. They use to be house cats but we got them as the gal was pregnant and her husband didn't want cats around ;now they are mouse control around here.

I am lucky as the Kit Kat has never used a litter box, he thinks he's a dog. :D

I have never even heard of this type of litter box - and I am not going to answer your question - instead will make a suggestion.

Feed them outside the back door.

Place them out side and keep them there.

Put a heat lamp in a box if you are worried about them.

Leave them outside and say hello to them once in a while.

People say dogs have masters and cats have servants

I do not serve!!!

But - great rodent control and no indoor cat probs.

Good luck on your search for info

Bez+

Hi Bez, these are somewhat new out and supposed to be the cats meow. ;-)

These two are not house cats ,in fact if they come around the house the dogs and Kit Cat run them off, they are for the shop/barn to keep the mice down. One cat is enough for me and like I said before it's a good thing he considers himself one of the dogs or I wouldn't like him and neither would the dogs especially Steffie (top dog) who loves to kill cats.. :lol2:

Say hello to them once and a while
I have to laugh at that one. I feed them and make sure they have fresh water, I don't talk to them ever. I really don't like them..The other reason they are allowed in the shop is that the dogs would kill them ,,they do have a cat door to go in and out of though. The problem is they will not potty outside ,only inside. I guess that is because they were house cats to begin with. But hey, they were free and both spayed, so we never have toms coming around here either plus they really are great mousers. If only I can stop them from sh@tting every where... :roll:

Your info is very good though on how to train a cat to be outdoors..Thanks Bez.. :tiphat:

Our barn cats have an automatic litter box these aren't maintenance free sometimes you have to use the scooper to scrap poop off the "teeth" of the part that goes over the little cuz it will get caught.
also they are very handy everything ends up in little chamber and you pick it up and can throw the whole chamber away or like us we just empty it until its kinda falling apart then change it out altogether.
not sure if this answers your question or not.

Well the little stinkers are using it finally,,I just have to grab the bag and stick a new one in ... :D

So I guess they get to live another day.. :cowboy:

I do suggest these to everyone who has a cat that needs a litter box , they are not expensive, use less litter, and are way, way better than the old way.. :clap:

hillsdown":14xvfcfq said:
Well the little stinkers are using it finally,,I just have to grab the bag and stick a new one in ... :D

I do suggest these to everyone who has a cat that needs a litter box , they are not expensive, use less litter, and are way, way better than the old way.. :clap:

If the old way is crapping outside as nature intended I sure don;t see why it's better

dun":3mzp5ud7 said:
hillsdown":3mzp5ud7 said:

If the old way is crapping outside as nature intended I sure don;t see why it's better

hillsdown":2wyeuucw said:
dun":2wyeuucw said:
hillsdown":2wyeuucw said:

I guess what Dun is suggesting, Mrs. HD, is why use a litter box at all, outside??? They are generally for inside use. Good thing your keeping those scats outside. Untrained, their a complete mess. The males will spray everything in site not to mention sharpening their claws on the arm of the sofa. I watched (had very little say-so) as one cat destroyed the value of about $7000 of furniture.

My aunt had a self cleaner and really liked it...until it broke. The best thing I have found to use for a box is a tall sided rubbermaid container-with the tall sides you don't have to worry about litter being all over the floor but the cat gets in and out no problem. My grandparent's kitten, Pedro, decides he likes to go outside better-when my grandmother lets the dog out, Pedro runs right outside with him and squats down in the snow! :lol: :lol:

hillsdown":1qapfk20 said:
These two are not house cats ,in fact if they come around the house the dogs and Kit Cat run them off, they are for the shop/barn to keep the mice down.

Ok, I'm missing something. Why would you provide a litter box to outside cats? They have an unlimited litterbox simply by being outside cats. I'm confused. :???:

angie":6zntfyhl said:
The problem is they will not potty outside ,only inside. I guess that is because they were house cats to begin with.

Thanks Angie.

Msscamp these are not outdoor cats or feral cats these are domesticated cats that we use to kill mice in the shop. They have a cat door to come and go as they please but they refuse to go potty outside, SOOOOO they need a litter box and hell will freeze over before I go out there everyday and scoop [email protected]'t happening.

The new box works great and I can now go in to the shop where they have access to and not throw up from the stench.. :banana:

hillsdown":24k9cqby said:
... these are domesticated cats that we use to kill mice in the shop. They have a cat door to come and go as they please but they refuse to go potty outside,.....

They refuse???? Huh. They refuse. Would they just blow up? ;-)

BeefmasterB":thyk8g91 said:
hillsdown":thyk8g91 said:
... these are domesticated cats that we use to kill mice in the shop. They have a cat door to come and go as they please but they refuse to go potty outside,.....

They refuse???? Huh. They refuse. Would they just blow up? ;-)

No but they pee and sh@t everywhere in the shop. I don't speak cat and don't have the patience to deal with them or their crap.. ;-)

hd's cat: :nod:
cat-1.jpg

Latest posts