List of small beef producers and sellers

Help Support CattleToday:

Found this one in Australia

Stanbroke is a family owned Australian integrated beef and cattle company.

Our focus is to consistently provide the finest beef to our valued customers and we achieve this by owning and controlling each step of the production process. From our breeding and cattle selection programs to our vast cattle stations and backgrounding properties to our finishing and processing facilities, this control ensures the highest standards and level of care are maintained throughout, delivering consistent quality and flavour.

Does anyone know anything about these guys?

30 years ago, I had an idea to own my own meat business—not just any meat, but premium meats. Because premium protein is the kind I wanted my own family to eat. It's healthier, tastier, and means the animals, the environment and the farmers themselves are better off. That's when I came across a tiny meat company called Wayne Provisions. With just enough for a down payment, I bought them. I made a lot of changes to Wayne, the biggest being the move to premium meats. The business grew steadily as top chefs and restaurants heard about our reputation for offering the best of the best prime beef, pork, poultry, veal, lamb, wild game and seafood—all delivered fresh, never frozen.

We changed the name to Premier Meat about 13 years ago to reflect the fact that no one offers better quality meats than we do.

1,000hd doesn't sound that small.
There is a family in Bureau county, IL that raises and processes Piedmontese cattle. I think they have around 200. All the meat goes to Chicago.

Last edited:
Do you know any operators selling beef on a commercial scale?
You'd have to define commercial scale.
We had someone about 10 years ago called Big B Ranch buy up several farms in the area and opened a premium meat store in Park City Tn. Looked like they were attempting to be a vertically integrated operation. Had all brand new equipment. Didn't last two years.

Zbar ranch started out as a stall at the farmers markets. Now have a custom butcher shop in Keller, TX. Seem to be busy, and sell out of certain cuts regularly. They've established a pretty loyal local customer base in a fairly affluent suburb--hoping it's a model that is successful and repeatable for others.

Found this one in Australia

Stanbroke is a family owned Australian integrated beef and cattle company.

Our focus is to consistently provide the finest beef to our valued customers and we achieve this by owning and controlling each step of the production process. From our breeding and cattle selection programs to our vast cattle stations and backgrounding properties to our finishing and processing facilities, this control ensures the highest standards and level of care are maintained throughout, delivering consistent quality and flavour.
Stanbroke is not exactly small the concept is there, very good operation, most of breeding in the Gulf Country and then finished on their properties further south and feedlot before processed in their state of the art abbatoir and a lot of product exported to premium markets worldwide.

Ken

There's this little Angus ranch up the road from me called 44 Farms. They've been in business for over 100 years and it is still family owned. A few years ago set up a cooperator buy back program so they could ensure they had to supply chain in place to sell branded beef to WalMart. They are WalMart's biggest beef supplier. They will buy calves from any registered cooperator that uses 44 Farms bulls and the cooperator must follow certain protocols like weaning, vaccinations, etc. I'm not sure who processes their beef. It seems to be the only part I do not understand.

There's this little Angus ranch up the road from me called 44 Farms. They've been in business for over 100 years and it is still family owned. A few years ago set up a cooperator buy back program so they could ensure they had to supply chain in place to sell branded beef to WalMart. They are WalMart's biggest beef supplier. They will buy calves from any registered cooperator that uses 44 Farms bulls and the cooperator must follow certain protocols like weaning, vaccinations, etc. I'm not sure who processes their beef. It seems to be the only part I do not understand.
Some of those come to FPL Foods in Augusta GA for processing.

I have seen annual revenue estimates of around $7M. I would love to see more operation like them compete with JBS, etc.

I believe Snake River Farms and R&R ranch are fully integrated.
the Wagyu guys?

Is this the R&R you are talking about?

the Wagyu guys?

Is this the R&R you are talking about?
Yes those are the ones.

We own our processing plant in Toppenish, Washington, a Safe Quality Food (SQF) certified facility built on designs by famed animal behaviorists, Dr. Temple Grandin and Bud Williams. We make it mandatory that all our employees go through Beef Quality Assurance training. With 24 food safety intervention points, and full eight-hour sanitation shifts, Washington Beef ranks as one of the cleanest processing plants in the country.

Latest posts