List of Schools for Cattle Ranching?

Help Support CattleToday:

BammerinFL

Reaction score
Could anyone point me to a source that lists schools that teach the cattle ranching business? Are there any "trade" or vocational schools that offer courses? I'm not interested in four-year colleges.

I've done Google searches and searches in this forum without any luck.

School location doesn't matter.

Thank you.

I don't know of any ranch schools near me. I think the field days offered by auburn and other agencies colleges is one way to get some good schooling

Not sure of any ranching schools - Ag colleges are more geared towards animal and crop sciences. To learn farming and ranching is more of a hands on / work placement type gig.

School of hard knocks. Do you know any ranchers that could teach/mentor you? And are you willing to work for cheap (or nothing) for the experience? I'd research Ag colleges near you &/or contact the Extension Agent. Good luck!

Look at Graham in Kansas. This might be what your looking for.

callmefence":3nky86z0 said:
Learn to weld. Go to work for a year each for a plumber, a electrician, a fence builder and a mechanic.
Thanks. I guess I should have mentioned that I'm 61. :D

I'm looking to retire from my most recent career of 20 years in the IT and computer network field and start another 20 year career raising cattle (and grandkids).

Looks like I might start hanging out at the cattle auctions and pick people's brains. Was hoping to find maybe a community college that had a non-degree type program or workshops or something.

I would be leary of a "ranch school". Most of these places teach "best practices" not what's profitable.

You might be able to piece together your own program. Take some business classes, excel spreadsheet classes, you can probably find some grass management and livestock classes.

If you understand business and can spreadsheet it well... you can learn the cattle part as you go. Most people do it the other way and loose their arss. You have to be able to run your own numbers because you will go broke doing what other people tell you is profitable.

Hang out with some ranchers pick their brains, go help them on their places, I know here locally our county ag agent put on classes about brush and different stuff some interesting stuff, if you know a large animal vet that would let you shadow him you can learn a lot there.

See if maybe a local community college has an adult ed course, other then that, working with local ranchers/farmers would be a good bet. Might also talk to someone from your state or local cattlemans association.

Thanks for the replies. I have books and videos but I'm the type person that learns better in a live setting. I did find that Texas A&M has some workshops that look good.

Might as well just jump right in the deep end of the pool. If you can afford it, just do it. A short course, or a workshop, is not going offer enough information to scratch the surface. Maybe a safety net of an experienced person living close is all you need. I remember my dad mentoring an insurance salesman, when I was a kid. That guy runs 100-120 cows now, and his son is a large animal vet.

The Texas A&M beef short course is probably going to be the what you're looking for. I've not been to it, but have heard nothing but good things about it. I've only been running cows for almost 8 years now. I have learned A LOT just from this site. If you can think of anything cattle related, it's been discussed hear more than once.

You appear to be from Florida, so I would suggest joining your county's chapter of the Florida Cattlemans Association, go to the nearest sale barn, and become a fixture at one of your local feedstores. Visit with your county's IFAS office, and your county's ag Agent. Make friends and network among them. It won't be hard to figure out who knows what they're talking about.

Txpiney":18xrq19v said:
The Texas A&M beef short course is probably going to be the what you're looking for. I've not been to it, but have heard nothing but good things about it. I've only been running cows for almost 8 years now. I have learned A LOT just from this site. If you can think of anything cattle related, it's been discussed hear more than once.

I'll second this. It's in August each year and events spread over three days. I attended as we were getting started and found it invaluable. In addition to the sessions you choose to attend over the period, you receive a copy of all the presentations and handouts from the whole event. It was an hour drive for me, but I met folks from all over the country and would recommend it as an event worth making the trip to.