LIQUIDE FEEDS

Help Support CattleToday:

DINGRAM

Reaction score
THINKING ABOUT TRYING LIQUIDE FEED ON MY FARM THIS WINTER. IT'S ABOUT 35% PROTIEN. HAS ANYBODY TRIED THIS.

DINGRAM":1pm3n0j3 said:
THINKING ABOUT TRYING LIQUIDE FEED ON MY FARM THIS WINTER. IT'S ABOUT 35% PROTIEN. HAS ANYBODY TRIED THIS.

I think there is a thread somewhere that touches on this, not too far down.

We tried it a few years back and couldn't justify the cost. DO NOT let the cattle run out if you go the liquid route. Your coop guys should tell you that.

If you feed round bales you might look into adding the liquid to the bale its self. Lot of guys round here treat the hay and don't mess with the tanks.

They tend to eat it like candy when they get it again.
My ears are ringing from the SHOUTING.

dun

dun":1tkoiszp said:

dun

I agree with Dun here. There are things that once cows get a taste of, they will throw a bloody fit for when it runs out, whether they are hungry or not.

george

dun":5sqq56z6 said:

dun

I'VE NOTICED WE HAVE A FEW NEW MEMBERS LATELY WHO FEEL THE NEED TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS. I NEVER KNEW HOW TO BROACH THE SUBJECT WITHOUT SOUNDING HARSH, SO I 'AM GLAD SOMEONE ELSE HIT IT FIRST! IT IS ANNOYING AND REAlLY HARD TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS IF YOU DO DECIDE TO SHOUT OR STRESS A SPECIFIC POINT. NOT TO MENTION HARDER TO READ THE POSTS!

I know most will feel this is nitpicking, but as someone who spends alot of time on the computer, either with work or playing around, all caps does get annoying after awhile! I know I can ignore the posts, but I 'am a glutten for punishment and usually just try and fight through them as I try to learn as much as I can from this forum, especially the beginners forum!

Hope you have a better result than I did with liquid feed. It seemed to start out fine, but then the consumation just went through the roof. We have gone back to Positive Feed Tubs.

in our experience liquid feed will work fine as far as keeping them in condition but its more expensive. if youre able to check them two or three times a week its not worth the premium over supplementing them while your in the pasture. If your not able to check them that often then free choice works best and could be worth it

I am not currently feeding liquid feed or tubs, but have thought about it. Right now I am just supplementing with cubes every couple of days.

For those that do supplement with liquid feed, I was just wondering how much it costs to fill up the feeders and how long does it normally last?

depends on how many head and what your local prices are. CAll your feedstore they can give you an idea. youll use liquid instead of cubes not with cubes

TXBobcat":2c8x42tb said:
I am not currently feeding liquid feed or tubs, but have thought about it. Right now I am just supplementing with cubes every couple of days.

For those that do supplement with liquid feed, I was just wondering how much it costs to fill up the feeders and how long does it normally last?

I use a liquid supplement cost about 140 bucks to fill up. Sometimes they will use it up in a month sometimes two thats average of 30 head.

One of the problems I've ran into with the liquids is that some are "blended" when put in the tank-- Usually they start with a sweeter blend to get cows started and then sour it up until they get the right daily consumption- You need to have a dealer that knows what he's doing or those cows will gulp up dollars faster than you can print them or if they get it too sour, just stand there and cr*p in the tank......

I also always questioned how many dollars worth a year dripped off the nose of the cow onto the ground-- seemed like they were always walking around with it dripping all over........

sidney411":303t6tkc said:
certherfbeef -

how do you put it on the bales? Spray? Do you do them all at once or as they are fed?

The guy comes out with the same truck that he fills the lick tank with. I set the bales on end. He just lets it run out of the hose into the center of the bale. Then I flop the bales over on their sides to store them. That is all he does all winter, so he can pretty much gauge how much he puts on each bale. I'll ask him for an amount on each bale next time I see him.

Had 200 bale treated shortly after they were made. The rest I havn't hauled home yet. They probably won't get done this year. I don't use the lick tank anymore, got into my pocket too much. And the cows made too much mud around the tank. Hope this helps

Campground Cattle":3lkewcnl said:
TXBobcat":3lkewcnl said:

I use a liquid supplement cost about 140 bucks to fill up. Sometimes they will use it up in a month sometimes two thats average of 30 head.

How much per ton?