liquid protein supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

If a product is 25% protein there is 25lbs of protein per 100lbs of product. it doesn't matter what the carrier is other then how palatable and digestible it is.
I'm well aware of why we need to feed protein.....be it tubs, cake/cubs, grain, silage, etc. All of these sources of protein have a certain percentage of moisture. Which hay, cubes, tubs are dry enough it's kinda pointless to figure. The point of my comment is you need to take the percentage of moisture out of a liquid feed to accurately know how much that protein is costing you vs. say alfalfa hay, soybean meal, cotton seed hulls, etc. Those ingredients might be higher priced to buy, but by the time you figure what the actual protein is costing you in something like liquid feed, distillers, silage, etc. the higher priced product might be the cheaper cost per pound of protein. With that said, my neighbor got liquid feed by the semi load. I'd buy off him. It definitely had it's place for certain things. I'm just saying know how much your actually paying for the protein.
Problem with that is liquid feed like mix 30 is 30 percent protein as a liquid. So as Allan said above is spot on.

I'm not going to argue,it's not worth my time. I used mix 30 in once. Id say your right as far as the as fed part. All I'm saying is sometimes is by the time you figure you it cost per pound of protein on a dry matter basis the ingredient that's dryer is actually cheaper because you can use less to ballance your ration.

I'm not going to argue,it's not worth my time. I used mix 30 in once. Id say your right as far as the as fed part. All I'm saying is sometimes is by the time you figure you it cost per pound of protein on a dry matter basis the ingredient that's dryer is actually cheaper because you can use less to ballance your ration.
I don't know that anyone is arguing.. just saying.
No doubt liquid is expensive. So is time, and that's where the difference gets made up in specific situations. Your input is appreciated.

In commercial supplements (things you buy from a feed company) like liquid feed, cake, mineral, or tubs. The feed analysis numbers on the tag are "as fed". So if the protein in a cake or liquid is listed at 25% and you feed 1 pound the cattle get 0.25 lbs of protein. Protein in feedstuffs (stuff that's grown/harvested like alfalfa hay) is generally talked about on a dry matter basis. So if you fed 1 pound of alfalfa hay that tested at 25% CP, cattle would get roughly 0.22 pounds of protein. To accurately compare you do need to get everything on an equal footing- say cost/h/d for a specific amount of protein, then add the cost of mineral to supplements that don't contain any/enough and labor costs. In the plains of the US the cheapest & best is distillers hands down, not only is it by far the cheapest protein but on a dry matter basis it has the energy equivalent of corn. After distillers cubes from a feed company generally are the next cheapest. Then the biuret/free choice protein minerals, then protein tubs, finally the free choice liquids being the most expensive. I'm sure this varies a lot based on region though. The only free choice liquids around here is from loomix & a lot of that cost is labor.

Your post made no mention of any equipment, or what you're feeding currently. This is the internet, I have no clue who you are.
If you think putting lick tanks or tubs out, is going to save you money, it's not. They are the most expensive feed you can buy, and the least effective.
What you have available in your area, or near by in bulk, is going to be your cheapest option. Thus talking to a nutritionist, or even feed salesman, would give you more insight on what is available, and your least cost options, better than random people on a internet forum.
this is dry country, no rail, no manufacturing. i talk to a lot of reps and surprisingly they just tell you what they have and what everyone else is doing. in our case lick tanks are pretty easy, i have a 600 barrel (for 26,000 gal) tank i can store a 30 ton load of liquid syrup. it costs me about .13 a day for 25% protein, 10% fat, full vitamin and mineral package. that seems pretty decent to me in all my checking. i'm curious if what other folks are doing around the country. i think that is what the forum is for. there is rough feed for cattle in this country but it's pretty low in protein this time of year.

Your post made no mention of any equipment, or what you're feeding currently. This is the internet, I have no clue who you are.
If you think putting lick tanks or tubs out, is going to save you money, it's not. They are the most expensive feed you can buy, and the least effective.
What you have available in your area, or near by in bulk, is going to be your cheapest option. Thus talking to a nutritionist, or even feed salesman, would give you more insight on what is available, and your least cost options, better than random people on a internet forum.
this is dry country, no rail, no manufacturing. i talk to a lot of reps and surprisingly they just tell you what they have and what everyone else is doing. in our case lick tanks are pretty easy, i have a
I'm well aware of why we need to feed protein.....be it tubs, cake/cubs, grain, silage, etc. All of these sources of protein have a certain percentage of moisture. Which hay, cubes, tubs are dry enough it's kinda pointless to figure. The point of my comment is you need to take the percentage of moisture out of a liquid feed to accurately know how much that protein is costing you vs. say alfalfa hay, soybean meal, cotton seed hulls, etc. Those ingredients might be higher priced to buy, but by the time you figure what the actual protein is costing you in something like liquid feed, distillers, silage, etc. the higher priced product might be the cheaper cost per pound of protein. With that said, my neighbor got liquid feed by the semi load. I'd buy off him. It definitely had it's place for certain things. I'm just saying know how much your actually paying for the protein.
i completely agree. there are cheaper ways to get protein if that is all i'm looking for. that i think is a very good clarifying comment

Neighbor B feeds weaned calves a liquid supplement. It is Amipro. I don't know the protein content. He has two tubs that I would guess to be 200 gallons each for 150 calves. The guy comes and fills them every 7 - 10 days. I asked B the cost. He said if they get the mix right it works out to be 25 cents a day per calf.

If a product is 25% protein there is 25lbs of protein per 100lbs of product. it doesn't matter what the carrier is other then how palatable and digestible it is.
That's awefully cheap. Just saw an advertisement for mix 30 that said $1.50 a lb picked up, $1.68 delivered. With them eating up to #5 or more a day they can eat more than their worth pretty quick.

It varies a lot across the country as to what is available and how much it costs. Here I can buy alfalfa that tests 18% for $140 a ton.

I've been calling around and some quote it per ton and some per gallon.

The fat content seems to effect the price quite a bit. Less than 1% fat can be a little over $300 a ton. 10% fat can run up to that $450 a ton. That's with both around the 30% protein mark.

I'm not sure if the fat is worth it or not.

I fed tubs for 2 winters. We tried liquid feed on 60 hd of cows last winter. Anipro in open top tanks and Rum A Lic in lick wheel tanks. The Anipro was the cheapest and our cows did well on it. They did well on the Rum A Lic but $2.50 a hd per month higher. Been putting some Tum A Lic out because of the drought. Will be moving more cows to the area the Anipro dealer serves. Will be using it as mych as we can. For 3 months the Anipro cost around $5.50 per hd. What we found is they clean up the old dead excess grass better. We fed 1/2 of the hay as normal last winter

Way Cheaper than cubes and getting close to cottonseed.
Probably not as good a feed as cottonseed which is 190.00 now
But the time saved is worth a lot
It is cheaper then cubes, I priced 38% cubes at $12 a bag. I can get a little off buying a pallet, no one has them in bulk here. I need to do some more checking around.

It is cheaper then cubes, I priced 38% cubes at $12 a bag. I can get a little off buying a pallet, no one has them in bulk here. I need to do some more checking around.
Ya I have priced cottonseed cubes before buying by the ton, out of their hopper, with no bagging, there was hardly any cost savings at all.

Latest posts