Liquid feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Jonescattleco":x9317l4w said:
Has anyone here used the liquid type feed to background calves and what was the results?
In my simple mind liquid feed meets non of the criteria for "backgrounding". Give them something with some energy in it and prepares them for the diet they'll be fed in the feedlot.

TexasBred":wbxi6rnq said:
Jonescattleco":wbxi6rnq said:
Has anyone here used the liquid type feed to background calves and what was the results?
In my simple mind liquid feed meets non of the criteria for "backgrounding". Give them something with some energy in it and prepares them for the diet they'll be fed in the feedlot.
I agree, and i have not ever thought of using liquid feeds for backgrounding.

i have just cow calf operation i use mix 30 in the winter to boost the hay couldnt tell you what all is in it but it keeps my cattle looking good through the winter.

bse":1ls3z1tt said:
i have just cow calf operation i use mix 30 in the winter to boost the hay couldnt tell you what all is in it but it keeps my cattle looking good through the winter.
That is in my opinion what liquid feeds are for.

the real question - is mix 30/hay considered a high enough energy source to background calves on?

bse":1zniwy2q said:

What does the mix 30 cost you where your at if you dont mind me asking. It also is if i remember right a low protein higher fat liquid feed compared to others. Made from mostly vetable oil if i remember right.

-XBAR-":17n067lj said:
the real question - is mix 30/hay considered a high enough energy source to background calves on?

Calves that have been through a backgrounding program (commonly 45-90 days) are appealing to buyers because: 1) they know how to eat dry feed out of a bunk, 2) they know what a waterer is and how to use it, 3) their immune systems are "primed" if the correct rations are formulated and the proper vaccination protocols have been implemented. However, the calves should not be too "fleshy". This typically concerns cattle buyers because too much compensatory gain has been taken out of the calves. Therefore, calves should be fed to gain about 1.5-2.5 lbs/hd/d to avoid an over fleshy problem.

So there is the answer: if you're shooting for 1.5lbs/day, YES mix 30 can be used to background calves. Thanks, DM

-XBAR-":31939t0a said:
So there is the answer: if you're shooting for 1.5lbs/day, YES mix 30 can be used to background calves. Thanks, DM
Yes it can. It could be used for about anything you use it for. I just don't see it as being best suited for backgrounding.

denvermartinfarms":2ijq2ak6 said:
-XBAR-":2ijq2ak6 said:
Yes it can. It could be used for about anything you use it for. I just don't see it as being best suited for backgrounding.
I question that they would gain any weight at all unless the hay was good...otherwise it does nothing to prepare the rumen for the high energy, high carb. diet they will be expected to eat when they hit the feedlot. The first day they hit full feed, they'll probably go OFF feed not to mention other potential problems. Call if what you want but true backgrounding requires feeding grain.

Latest posts