Liquid Feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tony Jr

Reaction score
Received something in the mail the other day "Mix 30" It's a liquid supplement. Has anyone ever messed with liquid feed? Pro's and Con's. Do ya'll know anything about this particular one? :cboy:

Tony Jr":ynn8s7sl said:
Received something in the mail the other day "Mix 30" It's a liquid supplement. Has anyone ever messed with liquid feed? Pro's and Con's. Do ya'll know anything about this particular one? :cboy:

As luck would have it, a friend of mine is the local dstributor for the stuff. It really seems to be a pretty good deal, the only problem I can see is the volume you would need to purchase at each time.
This winter when we aren't moving the cows as far from pasture to pasture if we need to supplement I'm planning on giving it a shot. I particularly like the idea of not needing a special tank to feed the stuff, also the fat digestability component.
I'm going by memory here because we only talked seriously about it a couple of months ago and those are the two things that I recall as being real pluses.

dun

We used it for years. It works well. The biggest advantages are that it's 24/7, very low maintenance and self regulating on the ration. The biggest drawback is that it's more expensive. I recall a good while back that Dun raised the question about whether the wheels would freeze. I've wondered about that since then. I've never had weather that was cold enough for long enough to have any firsthand experience with that part, but it won't be a problem in Mississippi either.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":23qd5qwh said:
We used it for years. It works well. The biggest advantages are that it's 24/7, very low maintenance and self regulating on the ration. The biggest drawback is that it's more expensive. I recall a good while back that Dun raised the question about whether the wheels would freeze. I've wondered about that since then. I've never had weather that was cold enough for long enough to have any firsthand experience with that part, but it won't be a problem in Mississippi either.

Craig-TX

With the mix 30 you don't need to use the feeders with wheels in them. Most of the folks around here just use a regular open topped water tank. I'll have to ask the next time I see him if the stuff freezes solid

dun

With the mix 30 you don't need to use the feeders with wheels in them. Most of the folks around here just use a regular open topped water tank. I'll have to ask the next time I see him if the stuff freezes solid

dun[/quote]

Any idea of cost, how to find local distributers? :cboy:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2lb1y53r said:

dun

Any idea of cost, how to find local distributers? :cboy:[/quote]

Contact the company

http://www.mix30.com/

One other thing that I like is that it doesn;t use urea

dun

Interesting info, thanks for the links. A couple of excerpts...

==================

12. Can I limit the amount of MIX 30™ I feed?

Cattle will not normally consume MIX 30™ unless they are experiencing a nutritional deficiency. However, if cattle are consuming more than you want, you can limit their intake in a variety of ways. You can adjust the location of the tub in relation to the water source and/or you can limit the amount that is available to them on a daily or weekly basis. Using lick wheel feeders will also limit the amount of MIX 30™ they can consume. Salt may also be used as a tool to limit intake.

20. What precautions to I need to take for handling MIX 30™ during the winter?

Because MIX 30™is slightly acidic it never actually freezes. However it will thicken up and pump harder in temperatures below 10º. To alleviate any problems simply empty the pump and pipe lines out when not in use. The product in the tank will hold its heat and stay fluid. Another option is to place a heat tape around the pump and pipe lines to keep the product warm.

==================

Liquid feed works very well in situations where (for whatever reason) you can't check your cattle as often as want. Especially in the winter. It will help them keep conditioned just as well as cake or cubes.

I still suspect that, pound for pound of effective nutrients and energy, it's more expensive way to go. But it could be worth it if you can't cake them every other day.

Craig-TX

is the Mix 30 like "Cattle-Lak" (i think thats how its spelled) or maybe like "Sweet Licks", just curious cuz this winter we may have to go with this route.

thanks.... samm

samm":xhxe7pyk said:
is the Mix 30 like "Cattle-Lak" (i think thats how its spelled) or maybe like "Sweet Licks", just curious cuz this winter we may have to go with this route.

thanks.... samm

There dozens, or maybe hundreds of liquid mixes available. This mix 30 stuff appears to be pretty unique because of the lack of urea, etc.

dun