Liquid Feed vs. cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

if your referring to condensed solubles and range cubes-
the condensed solubles is costing us $35/ton (currently) and 12% range cubes are running $14.40/100 lbs.

we see cows eating 10#/day average on solubles which equates to 17.5 cents/day.

feeding the range cubes at 2 lbs./hd/day it is costing 28.8 cents.

if you don't have a lick tank and think you need one, i bought a 4-wheel tank for 300 dollars. Running 50 head of cows on one tank, it would take 52 days to pay for the tank when considering the difference of cost between the two feed alternatives.

other considerations for feeding the liquid is a lot more labor, consistent availability, consistency of the product- sometimes it comes very thick and is nearly impossible to work with.

i think the cows do a better job breeding back when on solubles due to the extra fat, they look better and seem more satisified, but ...feeding this product on a small scale basis is either going to get real expensive in the near future, or impossible to get at all. in our area, large hog operations such as cargill and psf are contracting 100% of the solubles available locally. the last load i got was trucked from 5 hours away from home.

ROB

If you're talking about something like a 32% crude protein liquid supplement with about 24% equivalent protein from Urea the cost in this area is around $215.00 per ton delivered to your lick tank. Good 20% breeder cubes are around $250.00 per ton FOB the feed store. I can only speak for myself but I in spite of being a little more expensive I prefer feeding cubes. They're all natural protein, adequate vitamins and minerals, higher in energy and it gives me a chance to walk thru the cattle everyday and look'em over. The liquid feed is much nicer when it's raining, snowing or 5 degrees below zero. :)

Texasbred- thats a good price for 20% range cubes. up here the price was $380/ton last week.

ROB

Wow...$280?? That's a killer. Might wanna go with liquid feed up that way. But cottonseed meal is getting up close to $300 a ton I'm sure.

I wil try to explain what I do.

forty cow herd. We try to calve in september and early October.
We Try to AI every cow.
We synchronize cows for breeding.
About mid October I start to feed one bag of cubes per day.
Gives me a chance to see all the cows and new calves pretty quick and reinforces the cows coming to me when called.
I do this through the AI breeding season which is the week after Thanksgiving.
Cows will come to the pen for cubes facilitating giving synchrony treatments.
Cows are bred on observed heat after synchrony.
After AI breeding the cubes are stopped.
I do all this single handed and if I had to chase the cows down every day I would sell em all.
I feed the cubes as a management enhancer and if they get a little nutritional boost al the better but that is not the aim.
Virgin heifers are kept separate until breeding and after AI service the heifers are kicked into the cow herd so the first calf heifers are in the cow herd right along with the older cows.
this year we had a summer drought and no rain til mid October and no fall stockpiled grass. We have been feeding some hay right along. but the fall and winter have been warm although drier than normal.
This year every first calf heifer showed heat and was bred on heat. 36 out of 40 animals were bred on observed heat.

PD sounds like a good plan especially for a one man operation. And you must be a pretty darn good AI technician to get 36 out of 40 the first time. Congrats.

TexasBred":2f0ybwcf said:
If you're talking about something like a 32% crude protein liquid supplement with about 24% equivalent protein from Urea the cost in this area is around $215.00 per ton delivered to your lick tank. Good 20% breeder cubes are around $250.00 per ton FOB the feed store. I can only speak for myself but I in spite of being a little more expensive I prefer feeding cubes. They're all natural protein, adequate vitamins and minerals, higher in energy and it gives me a chance to walk thru the cattle everyday and look'em over. The liquid feed is much nicer when it's raining, snowing or 5 degrees below zero. :)

Why not do both? Its what I do.

Correction

I did not mean to say we settled 36 out of 40 to AI service.

I bred 36 out of forty on observed heat. the other four were resynced and bred on time.

I do not know about conceptions yet as the bulls are still out for cleanup and it is dark when i leave in the morning and dark when I get home. Historically run in the neighborhood of 70 % on a single service basis. that is why I want to try to breed every cow once.

Pd...even 70% ain't bad for us country boys. My wife does our breeding and she's great at it. Women just seem to have a touch we guys don't have sometimes. I would guess she probably goes over 80%. When she's feeling real "smart alecky" she'll even split a straw. If they both settle I have to treat her to a trip to the Dairy Queen. (I'm a big spender ya know).

As for feeding both liquid feed and cubes I guess there's nothing wrong with it if you can afford it. The liquid would fill in on the days you couldn't get out to feed for one reason or the other. I just prefer the cubes so I can spend some time with the cattle, walk thru them, look them over and keep them gentle. I'm sure many others prefer the liquid or both.

TexasBred":38vgs5fe said:
As for feeding both liquid feed and cubes I guess there's nothing wrong with it if you can afford it. The liquid would fill in on the days you couldn't get out to feed for one reason or the other. I just prefer the cubes so I can spend some time with the cattle, walk thru them, look them over and keep them gentle. I'm sure many others prefer the liquid or both.

if you really want to get to know your cows, try feeding the corn syrup in feed bunks with buckets. i fed syrup in this manner on and off for about a year and a half. was a lot of work, but you get to know your cows on a much more personal level. :shock:

With the price of gas that it is I finally went with the liquid feed. I used to use Crystalyx but was wearing out a pickup delivering it. I figured I could let someone else wear out their vehicle and deliver the product. The liquid is actually a little bit cheaper also. Right now I only have to check my cows every third day or so since water is dependable and I'm not feeding any hay.

Excuse me.. but you check your cows every THIRD day? If I dont go one day without checking them. too much can happen.
But with regards to your liquid feed... that is exactly what I do.. have someone else come out.. fill up my tanks.

Bitter, a majority of the folks around here use Westway Converter and that's what I've used when I fed it. Westway owns about all the molasses in the country after buying up Molmix and PMAg's Prolix. A few use QLF and some Mix-30. There are a few little independents but can't think of any name right now.

I use both. Cattlelac-25 is available freechoice from a 4 wheel lick feeder. I cube every three or four days about 2# per head to keep them settled and coming into my catch pens. They also have pasture hay available at all times.

I bought these cows in early December and they were thin. So far they are filling out nicely. Everything I have read about Mix-30 seems to be good. I have a source a little farther away and I plan to give it a try when I am out. Mix-30 is 10% fat, and lower protien than what I am currently using so I will see if it will fill them out a little faster.

The only problem with liquid feed is it can take forever to drain from a tank on a cold day(unless you have a pump). Some dont like the mollasses base and urea content but my family has used it for years with no problems.

Good luck,
Jay

Limomike":1nlbvfzo said:
Excuse me.. but you check your cows every THIRD day? If I dont go one day without checking them. too much can happen.
But with regards to your liquid feed... that is exactly what I do.. have someone else come out.. fill up my tanks.

I've got weaned heifers and a couple groups of cows 20 miles from home now that see me once a week. When all the cows are out to summer lease pastures, they get checked weekly also. My cows are employees, they either take care of themselves or hit the road.

cfpinz

Jay, just a word of caution. Check with that Mix 30 dealer and get him to assure you that the fat won't settle out of the molasses. These companies may be better at it than in the past but a few years ago after having your lick tanks filled up a few times you ended up with a tank full of what looked like chocolate pudding. That was all the fat that had settled. Best Wishes.

TexasBred":uwhkon5p said:
Jay, just a word of caution. Check with that Mix 30 dealer and get him to assure you that the fat won't settle out of the molasses. These companies may be better at it than in the past but a few years ago after having your lick tanks filled up a few times you ended up with a tank full of what looked like chocolate pudding. That was all the fat that had settled. Best Wishes.

Mix 30 does not contain any urea or molasses like most other liquid feeds. Urea and molasses are extremely soluble and break down much too rapidly for ideal rumen utilization.
When ours gets thick, usually during really cold weather, I just stir it with a stick, never had a problem. But we don;t feed it all the time either.

Dun, true no molasses but was more concerned about the high level of fat and whether or not it still settles as in years past. Hopefully they've overcome that as well.

Latest posts