Liquid Feed vs. cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been reading up on mix 30, does anybody here use it? If so how do you like it and how does it compare with product from companys like purina mills and etc.

When the hay is poor, the norm for here, we feed mix30. I don;t know how it compares to anything else because we've never used anything else. Price here has gone up to 190 a ton delivered from 160 last January.
One thing I found interesting is that when the grass is good or the hay is of decent quality they eat very little of it.

I talked to the dealer about that (seperation) and he said it was not as big of a problem with the wheel tanks. I am going to give it a try and see how it goes. I like the fat content of the mix 30 going into calving. I wish it had a little more protien in it but I will see if I can tell a difference from the added fat. I am really pleased with how the liquid feed and cheap hay has really put some weight on these cows. They dont look like the same cows I bought a month ago...in fact, they have turned what I thought was a mistake into a pretty good decision (as long as they calve out alright).

I am still money ahead even though cows are getting cheaper around here. I am into these cows for less than 1000 and now they look like the same cows I passed up at 1300. If the extra fat in the Mix-30 does what I hope it will, I will probably use both depending on the time of year.

Thanks for the head up,

Jay

jayfarmlaw":n6uhmqfw said:
I talked to the dealer about that (seperation) and he said it was not as big of a problem with the wheel tanks. I am going to give it a try and see how it goes. I like the fat content of the mix 30 going into calving. I wish it had a little more protien in it but I will see if I can tell a difference from the added fat. I am really pleased with how the liquid feed and cheap hay has really put some weight on these cows. They dont look like the same cows I bought a month ago...in fact, they have turned what I thought was a mistake into a pretty good decision (as long as they calve out alright).

I am still money ahead even though cows are getting cheaper around here. I am into these cows for less than 1000 and now they look like the same cows I passed up at 1300. If the extra fat in the Mix-30 does what I hope it will, I will probably use both depending on the time of year.

Thanks for the head up,

Jay

During the timeframe we feed mix30, protein isn;t a big issue as far as I'm concerned. The energy from the fat for over wintering is what I feed it for. I just went out an stirred ours today. 3 possums and a bird were taking up a lot of space in the tank.

Lick tanks are for guys/gals that need to be at the local diner complaining about the weather ---- feed some cubes

simangus23":1lesq860 said:
Lick tanks are for guys/gals that need to be at the local diner complaining about the weather ---- feed some cubes

Does your daddy know you're playing on his computer again? :mad:

simangus23":x3ez4vn0 said:

That's me...........sure like to fill them tanks monthly and then just keep up with the bale rings :D
purina super lik is $260 a ton here and you haul it,I keep some cubes around to walk through the cows in the evenings,sure is nice for it not to be mandatory when the weather is sour tho.........just let em lick ;-)
good luck