Liquid Feed Supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Land o Lakes is pushing a liquid feed supplement for use in lick wheel tanks, or to pour on upended round bales. It is expensive per lb. of protiein, but not as bad as the solid lick tubs.

Have you had any success with it poured onto high fiber/lower protein round bales?

The practice of pouring liquid supplement over bales has been around, with good results. You'll get the most benefit when hay quality is lower. They'll eat it better and utilize it more fully.

I've never tried pouring it on rolls but I'm curious as to the protein content and price/ton. We're using a 35% protein with 5% fat added for the 1st calvers and antique cows now. It's running $260/ton. Comes out to 35 cent/hd/day on average.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1iite8zu said:
I've never tried pouring it on rolls but I'm curious as to the protein content and price/ton. We're using a 35% protein with 5% fat added for the 1st calvers and antique cows now. cfpinz

Are you are using a lick wheel tank then?

Stocker Steve":2tsoc56m said:
cfpinz":2tsoc56m said:
I've never tried pouring it on rolls but I'm curious as to the protein content and price/ton. We're using a 35% protein with 5% fat added for the 1st calvers and antique cows now. cfpinz

Are you are using a lick wheel tank then?

Yup.

I think you are referring to condensed distillers solubles which is a topic I posted a question too a couple of weeks ago. I did a little research on the product and found it available from a company called Dakota Gold who markets the product for a north missouri ethanol plant near Macon. Their price is $15/ton or 3/4 cents/lb. (picked up at the plant)

ROB

You might get better results using corn syrup. 55 gallons on an upended big round cornstalk bale. Runs $25/ton around here.

Latest posts