Liquid Feed Over Grain??

Help Support CattleToday:

Most excess protein is converted to energy. But not quite as readily as sugars or carbs.

MikeC":4l8aq2e3 said:
Most excess protein is converted to energy. But not quite as readily as sugars or carbs.

Very little.....Excess protein can cause cattle to excrete more urinary nitrogen, which, in the farm environment, may be converted to ammonia - a component of acid rain, which poses contamination threats to farms' surface and ground-water.

Angus/Brangus":kwakzld6 said:
As to liquid feed - If fat could be added, what percentage of fat would any of you consider acceptable? (given low temps down to 25 degrees on occassion)

Angus knowing where you're located 3% Crude fat in the feed should be more than enough. Bet your cows are slick and shiny anyway. :lol:

Energy is not just a cold weather need for cattle. If they are not getting sufficient energy from pastures or hay, they need to be supplemented. If the liquid feed doesn't meet energy needs, then it's not a good buy. Some does, some don't.[/quote]

Mike you were the one that made the "weather post". The original question concerned whether to feed liquid feed or soybean meal. I recommended adding corn to the sbm to increase energy, dilute the protein and lower the cost.

Liquid feed has very little energy unless it contains a level of added fat. But a majority of users feed it as a protein supplement and the companies basically sell it as a "protein supplement" not an energy supplement.

Most of the companies are already using other ingredients as carriers and reduce the amount of molasses in the mix due to the high cost of molasses. It will still look and smell like molasses but "read the tag".[/quote]

Who sells liquid feed with added fat?

Yep Mix 30 does, Most of the other companies have it available as well but the dealers usually buy what is cheapest which will be .1% fat. Actually no added fat at all. You'll just have to check around and even then the dealer may not know til he calls the company he bought it from.

Angus/Brangus":k9zy8w96 said:
TexasBred":k9zy8w96 said:
Angus/Brangus":k9zy8w96 said:
As to liquid feed - If fat could be added, what percentage of fat would any of you consider acceptable? (given low temps down to 25 degrees on occassion)

Angus knowing where you're located 3% Crude fat in the feed should be more than enough. Bet your cows are slick and shiny anyway. :lol:

TB - that Purina is providing better than 3% fat. Yes, slick and shiny. Now I have to make them look fat or move them on. :nod:

How does the cost of this compare to traditional high energy feed like corn or barley?

TexasBred":378ptayr said:
hahahaha.....Mike I'll agree with you 100% about Amarillo. Only been there a few times but brutal cold in winter and hot as the hinges of be nice in summer. And yes it's in Texas but should be in far west "Oklahoma". :lol: I referenced "Northeast Texas" to Alabama. Should be similiar in climate, rainfall, grass selections, hay quality and cattle. Course we have a lot of brimmer influence in a lot of the cattle over here and they do great on hay and low quality grazing..winter and summer....maintain body condition, give birth to small calves that grow fast and the cows are just good hustlers and give lots of milk.
I used to live in Hunt Co. TX. In a normal year, Alabama receives more rainfall than Hunt Co. Also, comparing NE TX to Alabama is hard to do because all of Alabama is not the same as Texas is not all the same. Where I live fescue is the predominant specie. Where Mike C lives, bahia is the main pasture grass. Temperature is similar between the two locales, but generally speaking cattle management is about the same for both regions.

JT, East Texas is also primarily bahia grass. Many coastal fields but rarely do you find one that does not also have quite a bit of bahia in it. (Nor a lawn either for that matter) The stuff is taking over the world. Some folks actually quarantine purchased cattle for 3-4 days to try and get all the manure out of them in order to try and keep the bahia off their place.

Latest posts