Liquid feed... Anybody ever

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig

Reaction score
Anybody ever put out liquid feed in tubs? I've got several empty protein lick tubs laying around, was thinking about filling them with some Super 40 liquid to feed during the upcoming cold snap. I've seen the tank systems for this, but can't justify the cost. Any problems doing it this way, like overconsumption? Only other way I've used it was as a pour on for marginal hay.

M-5":2j13c8j6 said:
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=106852

see duns post but I would think you run the risk of having them turned over

I agree now a water trough you could get away with I just don't know about dilution in bad weather

Caustic Burno":297opyx4 said:
M-5":297opyx4 said:
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=106852

see duns post but I would think you run the risk of having them turned over

I agree now a water trough you could get away with I just don't know about dilution in bad weather

I think the water stays on top and they drink that first

I do have a couple of 100 gallon tanks i could use. Shouldn't need to dilute it as its a winter pourable formula. I thought this might be a good way to boost their energy intake during sub zero weather.

Craig":a0h3mzg0 said:
I do have a couple of 100 gallon tanks i could use. Shouldn't need to dilute it as its a winter pourable formula. I thought this might be a good way to boost their energy intake during sub zero weather.

I don't think you will have a problem and long as your not wanting to salvage cow chips to burn in the stove.

Hahaha! It's supposed to get cold enough that it should be frozen before it will hit the ground. Sugar stinks when you burn it, glazes the chimney too!

Craig":2voumqt7 said:
I think the reference to dilution was rain/snow diluting the product

one of the main ones feeds it that way---I don't like the idea on acct of crap or urine, they say it ai'nt much problem.

Craig":da85qh2i said:
Anybody ever put out liquid feed in tubs? I've got several empty protein lick tubs laying around, was thinking about filling them with some Super 40 liquid to feed during the upcoming cold snap. I've seen the tank systems for this, but can't justify the cost. Any problems doing it this way, like overconsumption? Only other way I've used it was as a pour on for marginal hay.
Craig I've seen it fed in old bath tubs, water troughs and just about anything else. The stuff weighs about 11 lbs. per gallon so you can figure the weight on a tub of it. Protein tubs probably wouldn't be heavy enough even when full.

Ive fed mix 30 out of old protein tubs .. it's not a problem until there is only 1 or 2 left and they fight over it ..

Hundred gallon water tanks it is then. What can i expect as far as initial consumption goes up front? 25 cows go through a hundred gallons in a couple of days and then back off, or do they typically not hit it that hard?

With mix 30 they hit it really hard for about 2 days then slacked off

Thanks dun! I wonder if some salt sprinkled on top for a day or two would help limit them, or would it sour the tank in the end?

Craig":1pmv3rd2 said:
Thanks dun! I wonder if some salt sprinkled on top for a day or two would help limit them, or would it sour the tank in the end?
No idea, but why mess with it? It's like anything else new. If you tried to salt it to discourage some you can almost bet there would be those that would be encouraged to eat more. Remember salt is both a limiter and used to encourage consumption. Depends on the amount, and also the individual cows.

Craig":16b488nv said:

Put tank in a separate pen and open gate for only 3-4 days/wk by alternating days. Have done this before to limit consumption. If too much consumption reduce days and if too little add a day. Just try to hit your desired average on a weekly basis.

Latest posts