liquid fat in rations

Help Support CattleToday:

footballjdtractor

Reaction score
Does anyone feed fat in a finishing ration? How many pounds per head per day can it be fed? It weighs 7.44 pounds per gallon. I can get this feed less than 10 miles from home but must get at least 6000 gallons. The company will provide a tank "free" of charge. I've included an analysis from the web site. I was thinking of using this to replace some corn in the ration.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Fat, not less than

98.00%
Unsaponifiables, not more than

0.50%
Impurities, not more than

0.50%
Moisture, not more than

1.00%
Total Fatty Acids, not less than

90.00%
NEL

3.05 Mcal/lb

Fatty Acid Profile - Typical Analysis
C14:0 Myristic

1.75%
C15:0 Pentadecanoic

0.34%
C16:0 Palmitic

26.41%
C16:1 Palmitoleic

1.25%
C16:2 Hexadecadienoic

1.21%
C18:0 Stearic

48.00%
C18:1 Oleic

18.50%
C18:2 Linoleic

1.01%
C18:3 Linolenic

0.03%
C20:0 Arachidic

1.50%
78% Long Chain Fatty Acids (LCFA)

Sounds like you would be better off making bio-diesel. Take the fuel saving and buy a complete feed.
Feeding this is only replacing one element of the corn.

One thing I didn't see i your post was "cost".....could haved overlooked it. last I bought was $.95 a pound....Probably higher than that now...Heck Ifurnish a tank too if you'll buy a tanker load. Fat is a great product but is NOT a replacement for corn but more of an energy supplement. Sure runs the cost of doing business up.

If it doesn't cost much it can really help a finishing ration.
There is still some cheap oil out there that won't work for making bio diesel(too many contaminates).

There is a 5% DM max limit on fat---- in the total ration.
So how much you can add is variable depending on how much fat is supplied by your other ingredients.
Keep in mind that when it gets cold this winter it won't flow and you will have to bucket it out or heat the tank.

Howdyjabo":1clgotsx said:
There is still some cheap oil out there that won't work for making bio diesel(too many contaminates).

So how much you can add is variable depending on how much fat is supplied by your other ingredients.
Keep in mind that when it gets cold this winter it won't flow and you will have to bucket it out or heat the tank.

5%-6% is a guideline...and 5% of total dry matter intake is still lots of fat and really not a huge limiting factor. Most of the vegetable oils are not feasible due to cost and feeding oilseeds is just as expensive. About the only think that has to be heated in our area is animal fat. Products like corn oil and/or soybean oil flow freely year round. Rice bran is a good source of fat and stabilized rice bran is even higher but also more expensive.

Oil with water in it gets gloppy in cold weather-- your oil has some H20- it may not be enough to be an issue but throw some in the refrigerator/freezer to be sure
Quick changes in oil levels disrupts digestion-- so you can't just quit using it on the cold days.

Howdyjabo":yzxdnusg said:

why on this earth would feeding oil with too many contaminants for biodeisel be OK for feeding to beef we are eating? This is the type of thinking that is killing the industry! IMO

OntheBit.....very simple..some of these "contaminants" that effect biodiesel in a negative way or naturally occuring and actually beneficial to cattle and are not contaminants at all in the cattle industry.....it's not a put down to the cattle industry. Just a problem the biodiesel industry has to deal with.

Hard to get a cow to eat much tallow, soybean, corn or canola oil fed "straight". It's an additive....not a feed....supplies energy only :!:

Angus...I see the local liquid feed dealer out on the roads more and more everyday so it seems a lot of folks are already putting it out due to the dry weather and deteriorating pastures.

Latest posts