Lingering Pink Eye

Help Support CattleToday:

97TJDP

Reaction score
Hi --

About 2 months ago, I discovered bad pink eye on this weined heifer calf. I also noticed a small dot in her other eye. Vet put Penicilin directly in her eye, and sewed it shut. The stitches held for about 5 days or so. For the next 3-4 weeks, there was steady improvement, and the eye looks much butter, but 3-4 weeks ago there stopped being steady improvement, and there is still an obvious white spot. I've read on here that sometimes there will always be a white mark, but I want to make sure she's not contagious anymore. Does this look like its as good as its going to get? How can I tell if she is still contagious? Is there anything else I should do? I'm likely going to get rid of her, but want her to not be contagious, and want her as healthy as possible before she goes somewhere else. Thanks folks.

P.S. I also noticed the discoloration of her coat, and so I gave the whole herd the highest copper mineral tub I could find. I was told that that discoloration typically means they are low on copper.

Before:

Now:

From the 2nd photo to me the eye looks healthy just scarring but you will be surprised how much further the white will contract but over a longer period of time.

Ken

Pinkeye infection rate is much effected by nutrition. Based on the hair coat there seems to be some issues. Test your roughage and review your rations, going forward.

Latest posts