linebreeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Nicol

Reaction score
I am thinking of breed my murry gray bull to his daugther--- Can someone tell me the differance between linebreeding and crossbreeding in cattle , and is it a good practice?

crossbreeding is breeding two different breeds to each other. for example: hereford x angus

linebreeding is a fancy name for inbreeding.

Because linebreeding takes such a commitment to selection of the orignal animals to be bred and the strict requirements for merciless culling, I've alwasy felt that if you have to ask you shouldn't be doing it.

dun

Nicol":2igsnci0 said:
I am thinking of breed my murry gray bull to his daugther--- Can someone tell me the differance between linebreeding and crossbreeding in cattle , and is it a good practice?

True...if the results are good it is linebreeding; if they are bad its inbreeding. Compare the process to human breeding! Moral and ethical issues aside, would anyone be willing to inbreed humans and run the risk of producing a defective, etc., baby? Think not. Look at history and see the results of inbreed humans. Same applies to any other animal species.

Very selective linebreeding, such as 1st and 3rd generation crosses can be beneficial; however, close linebreeding runs a high risk of emphasizing a bad or recessive gene in the offspring.

Consider the British Royal Family...they haven't taken well to outcrossing with too many outsiders...case in point: The Demise of Princess Diana... And, am sure there many other examples in society I can't recall at moment.

Bottomline: CYA and do out-crossing within same breed or do cross-breeding.

I thought Diana was an outcross. ;-)

Running Arrow Bill":2dy47ub3 said:
True...if the results are good it is linebreeding; if they are bad its inbreeding. Compare the process to human breeding! Moral and ethical issues aside, would anyone be willing to inbreed humans and run the risk of producing a defective, etc., baby? Think not. Look at history and see the results of inbreed humans. Same applies to any other animal species.

Very selective linebreeding, such as 1st and 3rd generation crosses can be beneficial; however, close linebreeding runs a high risk of emphasizing a bad or recessive gene in the offspring.

Consider the British Royal Family...they haven't taken well to outcrossing with too many outsiders...case in point: The Demise of Princess Diana... And, am sure there many other examples in society I can't recall at moment.

Bottomline: CYA and do out-crossing within same breed or do cross-breeding.

Running Arrow Bill Quote=

Tod
Diana was an outcross. I believe that is Running Arrow Bills point. "The Demise of Diana"

la4angus":2ybtn391 said:
Running Arrow Bill Quote=

Tod
Diana was an outcross. I believe that is Running Arrow Bills point. "The Demise of Diana"

Correct: Diana was an Outcross. The Royal Family didn't take well with outcrossing, especially to a pretty, intelligent "commoner". And, they probably had a hand (direct or indirect) in her fatal car crash. Her lineage had potential to "improve" the Royal Family's "herd"; and, they probably feel their herd is already "royal" and doesn't need improving...duh...am I missing something here??

Running Arrow Bill
=
Correct: Diana was an Outcross. The Royal Family didn't take well with outcrossing, especially to a pretty, intelligent "commoner". And, they probably had a hand (direct or indirect) in her fatal car crash. Her lineage had potential to "improve" the Royal Family's "herd"; and, they probably feel their herd is already "royal" and doesn't need improving...duh...am I missing something here??

I could say "makes you wonder, doesn't it?" ....duh....
But I don't think that any sane person has to wonder. If you have enough power you don't have to answer for your sins; on this earth. Sort of like Mary Jo Kopechne's fate.

probably won't hurt because the gene pool in greys is so small that all you will get is linebreeding trait supresion. most of the bad stuff has cropped up and been culled here in the US. If you check out some of the linebreeding projects they are amazing-closed herds from the 1930's, decades of merciless culling to get REALLY clean genetics. JLS.