Linebreeding

Help Support CattleToday:

This is a question about line breeding that I am interested in seeing what you'll answers are. I have a cow who has the same bull 7 times in her pedigree, the bull in question was born in the 70's she also has another bull in her pedigree 4 times, I think he was also born in the 70's. Would you say she's linebred.

rocket2222":t2ppoqvs said:
This is a question about line breeding that I am interested in seeing what you'll answers are. I have a cow who has the same bull 7 times in her pedigree, the bull in question was born in the 70's she also has another bull in her pedigree 4 times, I think he was also born in the 70's. Would you say she's linebred.

Like has been said before. If she's a good one, she's Linebred.

If she's not, she's Inbred. ;-)

Rockett,

she is definately linebred at the very least. Whether she is inbred or not would depend on where the common sires are in her pedigree. Even then it might be a case of personal opinion.

Post her pedigree or PM me with it if you want my opinion on whether she is inbred

beef made some good points, and it falls along the lines of what MikeC's mating was.

It is probably not a great idea to inbreed son to dam, sire to daughters if you don't have any idea about how it will turn out- if the line hasn't been inbred before for the start of a linebreeding effort.

Most anyone who linebreeds will tell you that.

With that said, the main reason you wouldn't do it is because you expose too many defects too quickly.

Looking at the expected inbreeding depression for WW from the old Hereford studies, we expect to lose a little more than a pound of WW for each 1% increase in IBC. Not much really. Does it suggest that if we raise something very much less than average that there are more "bad" genes than expected in the combination?

Badlands

Yes she is line breed and in bred, they mean the same thing....In general if you use inbreeding in a postive way and cull hard, it is then line-breeding..

Latest posts