Linebred Herds

Help Support CattleToday:

BA

Reaction score
What are some of your favorite herds that use a good portion of their own bulls for many generations and have developed a good program using a high percentage of their own bulls, not the "hot" bull of the week?

A couple that come to mind are Beckton Red Angus and Ohlde, who else has a good program like these that we may not know much about?

Connelly's, Jorgenson's, Sitz

Connelly's have linebred more through the cow side than the sire.

Don't forget Sam Wylie, Octaro Angus,

How many of you get Jim Lents' paper "The Lamplighter"? When he put me on the waiting list a while back for his book, he sent out a couple issues from last year, and I really liked reading most of it. Very impressive cattle in the pictures, and I agree with their theories on conformation, structure and making cattle work for you, but I'd like to see their operation in person and see ALL the animals on the place, not just those selected for the photos.

Horned Herefords: Miles City Station, Cooper, Holden, Ken Baker, Jamison (all Line 1's), Colo St. Univ (Prospectors), Oxley (Marks)

Polled Herefords: Frank Felton, Anhinga Farms, RWJ, Remitall

Texas Longhorns-Bill Derey in Blackstone, VA. He's 84 yeras old and has some impressive cattle. I've gotten several good animals form him. He line breeds alot of Whelming King blood on some good Butler.

Rustler9":1xepkk2j said:
Texas Longhorns-Bill Derey in Blackstone, VA. He's 84 yeras old and has some impressive cattle. I've gotten several good animals form him. He line breeds alot of Whelming King blood on some good Butler.

Longhorns I would go with Sunrise Ranch (John T. Baker) and HD Cattle Co (George and Cindy Dennis). Neither have real large herds, both put a lot of emphasis on just a couple of bulls and their offspring. Both produce outstanding calves (show calves that can work for you) year in and year out. Proud to say that I personally own a heifer from each program. I was also a big fan of the Tri-W herd and breeding program before they got out of the business.

BA":1i6msczi said:
What are some of your favorite herds that use a good portion of their own bulls for many generations and have developed a good program using a high percentage of their own bulls, not the "hot" bull of the week?

I guess I'm missing something, but why would using one's own bulls automatically mean that the herd is being line-bred?

msscamp":1c70jvux said:
BA":1c70jvux said:

I guess I'm missing something, but why would using one's own bulls automatically mean that the herd is being line-bred?

It doesn't. I guess I thought he meant linebred herds because of the title, even though he didn't say linebred in the body of the post. My answer contained herds that are linebred with their own bulls. For example, there are lots of other good Hereford Line 1 breeders, like Debter Herefords, but most of them get most of their bulls from the ones I listed.

Latest posts