Line One Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I am familiar with line ones and cant say that any we ever had prolapsed. We had some polled cows that did.

I thought that the line ones were mostly clean of many of the defects of the other lines. JHH

I have heard from many horned breeders that polled herefords are more proned to prolapse, among other things.

From personal experience that is not a problem anymore (if it ever was the case)

I have never heard anyone say that about L1 cattle.

When I was in college, my Dad brought a Line 1 bull home. We bred him to our top cows and he was the biggest wreck I have ever seen as far as vaginal prolapses go.

Every single daughter was eliminated from the cowherd.

Ater that I started using polled bulls and haven't had a vaginal prolapse or a single case of cancer eye in about 15 years.

I don't know if I am just lucky, or had bad luck with the Line one bulls my dad bought, but that is how it has worked for me. I tend to use well proven bulls though and stay away from the highly promoted show cattle too as there are those that will overlook a lot of things if they think they have the next winner.

Brian

Can't help but comment here Brian, but you say your Dad brought ONE bull home. Sounds to me like a single bad bull and not a general commonality with Line1 cattle. No offense, just saying. We had Angus for 25 years and only ever saw 1 c-section and 1 prolapse. But there were certainly bad individual bulls that caused alot of hassle and stress.

I didnt' answer the thread with the intention of pointing fingers and asigning blame. I just didn't feel it fair for those reading the thread to get the wrong impression when I know better.

There are other cases that I have first hand experience with and other cases of second hand too but that isn't what I want to focus on.

I don't think that its very fair for the horned breeders to deny the problem and say it is just a polled issue nor do I think its right for the polled to say that its a horned issue. There are past cases in each line and pointing the finger to the other guy just isn't fair nor accurate. I tend to stay away from breeders who do that as I believe they are most likely to turn a blind eye to such things.

Hereford breeders, horned and polled, need to realize that we are in this deal together. Everyone needs to get rid of any problem cattle. I beleive that most have already.

Brian

smnherf":1rx2pepo said:
Hereford breeders, horned and polled, need to realize that we are in this deal together. Everyone needs to get rid of any problem cattle. I beleive that most have already.

Brian

I agree 100%. ;-) Have a good one.

We bought a nice line-1 heifer from a top breeder. both her and her daughter prolapsed.
That was disappointing for us.
That is our experience with Line-1 breeding. We are a little more wary about getting back into Line-1. Did let the breeder know what happened so he would be aware of this problem.

Since I have been using Line 1's I have had no problems whatsoever.
I did have a couple spells of problems when I had some mixed cows. It was odd that I had the trouble at two different times. The only thing that made me wonder is that both times I was feeding protein with Urea. That was the only link. Don't know if that could have been it but I quit feeding urea and have had no problems since.

smnherf":2yx6u9ay said:
I don't think that its very fair for the horned breeders to deny the problem and say it is just a polled issue nor do I think its right for the polled to say that its a horned issue. There are past cases in each line and pointing the finger to the other guy just isn't fair nor accurate. I tend to stay away from breeders who do that as I believe they are most likely to turn a blind eye to such things.

Brian

I wasnt trying to say it was a polled issue, I was just stating the fact that we had some polled ones that did. My dad said we had some several years ago ( horned) that did. I just didnt remember them. The guy we bought the bull from advised dad that we get rid of him and not to keep anything by him. My dad told me this recently.

Sorry was not trying to point fingers. In fact I have bought some polled cattle that are doing well.JHH

I was told by a well respected Montana rancher that the best Line One's were born the year after the Station's Shorthorn bull
swam the mighty Yellowstone! :shock:

He wasn't storytelling and I know they wouldn't have been put back in the herd but I imagine they were some awesome calves coming from 2 purebred linebred parents!

I tend to be an Angus enthusiast but like to look at good cattle of any breed. About 5 years ago a friend and I took a tour of some Montana breeders, mostly Angus but one L1 Hereford breeder. They were some very impressive cattle and a real down to earth breeder. Every since I have been interested in linebreeding.

Latest posts