Line Breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech":g5lb65wz said:
Herefords.US":g5lb65wz said:
novatech":g5lb65wz said:
Line breeding can only produce an equal or lessor quality animal.

WRONG!

George
How can you make something better that does not have the genetics to do so? You can only strengthen the genes that exist.
And no, I don't expect any fireworks. I'm here to learn. If I'm wrong I want to know it.

John, I think what you don't quite grasp is that in linebreeding the focus isn't so much about traits governed by simple Mendellian inheritance as it is about traits governed by quantitative inheritance. What you try and do in linebreeding is as much stacking the good genes as it is about eliminating the bad. In quantitative inheritance dominant and recessive often plays no role.

Would this qualify as "linebreeding" Or is it just a little genetic stacking

...............GRANDFATHER KCF Bennett Ideal G182
SIRE OZZ Ideal Legacy 56R
................GRANDMOTHEROZZ Miss Diane 10K .....GR GRANDFATHER (Flying H Exclusive)

Flying H Limited Edition AMG1098826

.................GRANDFATHER OZZ EXT Govenor 3NGR GRANDFATHER..... (Flying H Exclusive)
DAM OZZ Gov Lady 82R
.................GRANDMOTHEROZZ New Lady 89N (MRCO New Direction)

KNERSIE":1nu9qv0i said:
John, I think what you don't quite grasp is that in linebreeding the focus isn't so much about traits governed by simple Mendellian inheritance as it is about traits governed by quantitative inheritance.
I didn't know traits were governed differently. I will have to read up on it.
What you try and do in linebreeding is as much stacking the good genes as it is about eliminating the bad.
This I understand and totally agree with.When this is successful you definitely end up with a better bull.
In quantitative inheritance dominant and recessive often plays no role.
Again something else I need to read up on.

Other than the fact that you are stacking genes, hopefully good ones, how can improvements be made on good traits that that don't exist. Even if the pair is close to perfect, the most you can hope for is close to perfect. This is aside from the fact that you are doubling up on the genes. I'm not trying to argue here. No doubt I'm still missing something.
Something else that just occurred to me is that by my statement people my think I disagree with linebreeding. My stance is just the opposite. When linebreeding is done properly and successfully the results are the type of bull I would prefer. When or if I ever get animals good enough I plan to try some linebreeding myself. I do some now but it is rather distant.

Other than the fact that you are stacking genes, hopefully good ones, how can improvements be made on good traits that that don't exist

You are right in the fact that no new genes will be created and the desirable characteristics need to be evident in the base population.

When starting out with linebreeding the first step is usually to identify a PROVEN superior sire that is strong in the traits you value and hopefully without visible flaws to a degree you can't live with. The second step is to identify cows that are strong in the traits you feel the bull might be lacking, this will give you enough genetic variation in the base population to be able to select for higher performance by stacking the "good" genes, by eliminating the "bad" ones. You are basically in an ongoing process of rearranging the genes in order to come closer to achieving your ideal animal.

I have obviously oversimplified everything for the sake of being brief, but the crux of the matter is to start out with superior animals from the get go.

RN BSN":3ee9kaxd said:
That's what I am afraid of, my neighbor does it and some but not all the calves died after two-three days. I guess its a crap shoot.

unless you are trying to concentrate the genes of a certain animal, please dont call it linebreeding; it's just breeding with a higher inbreeding coefficient.

Latest posts