Line 1 Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Clodhopper

Reaction score
It looks like I'll be bringing home some Line 1 cows and calves later in the week. The owner is apparently very particular about his herd, they are a beautiful set of ladies, and he has three powerful bulls. I'll get more particulars on everything later, but he did say at least one of the bulls are from Montana. I would like to hear from any of you all about your experiences with this family of cattle. I'm excited, I'm getting one step closer to one of my long term goals, as was discussed in another thread. Let 'er rip, good or bad, I got my big boy pants on, I can take it.

Clodhopper":236ala2t said:
It looks like I'll be bringing home some Line 1 cows and calves later in the week. The owner is apparently very particular about his herd, they are a beautiful set of ladies, and he has three powerful bulls. I'll get more particulars on everything later, but he did say at least one of the bulls are from Montana. I would like to hear from any of you all about your experiences with this family of cattle. I'm excited, I'm getting one step closer to one of my long term goals, as was discussed in another thread. Let 'er rip, good or bad, I got my big boy pants on, I can take it.
You'll hate yourself if you don't do it. Best wishes, now go get'em. :nod:

The L1's have a lot to offer. Many don't have the muscling I desire. Most have strong maternal traits. I notice a difference between the Station cattle, the Holden cattle and the Cooper cattle. In my view the Cooper cattle are very uniform. Several breeders have been very successful crossing the L1's with other lines including Canadian lines. Two brothers not far from me were very successful doing that and you will still see their prefix in some pedigrees. We purchased some L1's heifers this winter. They have a lot of growth. One heifer weighed 990 at 13 months of age and never any creep. After being weaned off her mother she was run on wheat. That is as big as anything else her age in this area. We will turn the bulls in with them this weekend.
The one issue I watch for is I've seen some structural unsoundness. You find it is alot of cattle regardless of breed or pedigree. That and the muscling issue. If you are selective in how you mate them I think you will be very satisfied.

Why don't you have them yet?
They sound good, no personal experience.. but look forward to some pics (that's when you're gonna need your big boy pants on!) :)

The L1 crossed with the Canadian lines make for a good cross. L1 don't have the hair or bone of the Canadian lines, but they make up for it in uniformity and powerhouse cows in a moderate package. You won't be disappointed. I really like the Cooper cattle.

Look forward to some pics. What breed of bull are you going to run with them? Angus or hereford would be the safe pick, but, since it's your farm, I vote go all in for the hetero boost and use a homo black limousine

Son of Butch":35jjy4o8 said:
I don't know... still time to back out... that money could buy a lot of goats... maybe you better think it over...
I know, I know... I opened my big mouth about going over to the goat side. I deserved that one! :lol:

Nesikep":1zg1usfj said:
Why don't you have them yet?
They sound good, no personal experience.. but look forward to some pics (that's when you're gonna need your big boy pants on!) :)
We're getting them Thursday, it's been a busy week for everyone involved. The picture deal may be an issue for me, I still carry a caveman phone. What would be the best way to gets flip phone pictures on here?

Wife has an IPhone, she may get drafted if I can't figure it out.

Lazy M":15wl1p3b said:
Look forward to some pics. What breed of bull are you going to run with them? Angus or hereford would be the safe pick, but, since it's your farm, I vote go all in for the hetero boost and use a homo black limousine
I will probably go with a quality Black Angus in the near future. We have a couple nice Simm bulls that will do for now, a Milestone son and an Ironhide son.

Clodhopper":33zy0wmh said:
Lazy M":33zy0wmh said:
I will probably go with a quality Black Angus in the near future. We have a couple nice Simm bulls that will do for now, a Milestone son and an Ironhide son.

Are the bulls homo black with no white?

Clodhopper":qtuqk4ma said:
Lazy M":qtuqk4ma said:
Nice sim was my next suggestion. I saw some herf/lim calves that were some real jaw droppers

elkwc":14oxn47p said:
Clodhopper":14oxn47p said:
Lazy M":14oxn47p said:

Are the bulls homo black with no white?
The Milestone is red, Ironhide is BWF, not sure if homo black. I don't mind the red calves, they sell pretty good too.

Clodhopper":1p4irvyd said:
I got my registration papers today. Any of you Hereford men want to look them over and tell me what you think?

Just post the reg. numbers and I'll take a look. :compute:

Latest posts